• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

TYBW: EPISODE 6: THE FIRE

Reaction score
Now that Disney + also has the original Bleach anime, I started to watch the beginnings as well. I want to support Bleach by boosting the ratings but first of all, I enjoy revisiting the early Bleach. I agree with you, The Outlier, both styles are very different. It is indeed a matter of comparing apples and oranges. Both are good but they are good in different ways.

I found out that I enjoy the new Bleach more when watching it the second time. Especially "The Fire" has a very fast pace. In older battles the animation did its best to make sure that the audience doesn't miss anything but here, the flow is fast and furious. It is more realistic, especially in a battle that was so driven by emotion. It gives little time to digest what is going on, especially when watching it the first time.

The anime inserted some flashbacks, some new, some familiar and some additional scenes. This new series is very well planned and makes good use of the rich history this series has.

Why was Yamamoto unable to kill Yhwach 1000 years ago? I think the answer is very simple: Yamamoto was not strong enough at that time. He said himself that he didn't use the army of the dead at that time - maybe simply because he didn't have one to attack Yhwach with. He killed all these Quincies who became his army. I wondered in my review if it was really necessary to kill all these people - this might be the reason why he did it.

The Soul Society was a very stagnant society before Ichigo shook it up. There was not much progress. It was mentioned that Sasakibe didn't use his Bankai for thousands of years. I think Yamamoto knew that he was the most powerful person in the Gotei 13 and didn't progress any further. He stayed on the same level.

Yhwach and the Wandenreich were different. They constantly worked at their skills and Quincy technology. Where they ended up, they were safely hidden but it was a prison. To get out of it they needed to become stronger, they needed to defeat the Shinigami. This was not only a matter of revenge.

The music was ok but nothing special. It didn't bother me because so much was going on so quickly.

Ra

Reaction score
Building on from the discussion about the Soul Society, the Shinigami institution and stagnation, I get the impression that the Gotei 13 and C46 are the current "order" as it were.

I may be way off since I have not read anything Bleach since TYBW ended in 2016, but I think back to how "the Quincy King will reclaim the world" prophecy that Yhwach has going for him. My impression is that Yamamoto lead his Shinigami army, the first Gotei 13, against the Quincy's and the then world order and usurped it, and the Soul King was installed as the embodiment of their ideals and new world order - the flow of souls between life and death. It is almost symbolic of Samsara. Since its inception, as another user pointed out, the Soul Society has been stagnate with little changes except for maybe a change of captains or minor challenge of leadership until Ichigo while maintaining this status quo.

I would even go as far as saying Aizen himself realised the degree of stagnation and ambitiously sought to install himself as the "God" of a new world a la I will stand atop of heaven and the victor must speak of the world how they think it should be, not how it already is. Unfortunately for Aizen his ambition got the best of him and the culmination of his life's work (White-Ichigo) eventually bested him.

As I said, I still may be very off base given I have not touched Bleach in the longest time, but given that the Soul Society itself seems to be a relatively new institution given the longevity of characters and the history of the Bleach-universe, it is not impossible for this to be the case and for some type of proto-Quincy institution, such as Wandenreich, to have existed prior.

I guess this could give further context to the fight between Yhwach and Yamamoto. I still think it would have been cool if we got a Turn Back the Pendulum for the original Gotei 13. copium

I did not even notice the OST to be honest, I was so engrossed in this fight and the new scenes.

Reaction score
A better image of old Gotei 13:

============
I wanted to mention that Retro Ryan who made Bleach fan animation years ago where Johnny Bosch also participated actually got a part to animate a liitle portion of this episode. I feel it's a great achievement as a BLEACH fan to be able to participate in the official thing as a "dream come true" moment. It's a proud moment for BLEACH community and shows how passionate this community is which is its strength.
============

A cover of one of Yhwach vs Yamamoto themes (chorus included). I so much wished that they should have included the chorus in the episode just like they did in the background recap instead of skipping... Nevertheless, it's an amazing theme:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing the tune, The Outlier. It is a matter of taste. I am glad that they didn't choose this one. I would find it distracting, especially the high squeaky notes.

I agree with you, Ra, the Licht Reich existed for a long time but these Quincies were not on the same level as the Wandenreich ones. This is an assumption but I think I am right. If the Quincies would have been on the same level as "now", Yamamoto would not have been able to defeat them so thoroughly.

Reaction score

Thank you for sharing the tune, The Outlier. It is a matter of taste. I am glad that they didn't choose this one. I would find it distracting, especially the high squeaky notes.

I agree with you, Ra, the Licht Reich existed for a long time but these Quincies were not on the same level as the Wandenreich ones. This is an assumption but I think I am right. If the Quincies would have been on the same level as "now", Yamamoto would not have been able to defeat them so thoroughly.
It's the same theme they played in recap, not a different version or something. They just didn't play it full like they did in the recap episode.
===========
Now that I have seen the visualization of young Yamamoto, here are some of the other media character fights having Yamamoto I dream of:

Yamamoto vs Heihachi Mishima

Yamamoto vs Akuma
===========

I tried to find the music of Yamamoto and Aizen meeting, but couldn't. That music was new and felt beautiful.

Edit: I found it:

The environment between Yamamoto and Yhwach felt like the nostalgic stay areas in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time game. It was a beautiful feeling.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow..what an episode. I loved this battle field episode. It was a great send off for Yama-Gi. Plus the contrast between Yamamoto's red fiery reishi and Ywach's blue reishi flames was the Chef kiss!.

There is one big question that I had for a long time. We know that Ywach went to the underground prison to recruit Aizen. Why didn't he recruit the other prisoners. Even the shinigami in the Maggots Nest would have sided with him to get revenge against Soul Society.

This episode was 10/10. For me. I am looking forward to episode 7. I am hoping for a fleshed flashback with the original Gotei 13.

Reaction score
There is one big question that I had for a long time. We know that Ywach went to the underground prison to recruit Aizen. Why didn't he recruit the other prisoners. Even the shinigami in the Maggots Nest would have sided with him to get revenge against Soul Society.
Yhwach was trying to manipulate. He didn't want to recruit Aizen to destroy soul society. He saw his power as a threat to his own hagemony before he could activate Almighty. That's why he came. Almighty and Zanka No Tachi alone were enough to cause severe damage to Soul Society. That's why real Yhwach quickly stole Yamamoto's bankai before that could destroy him + Soul Society and ruin his Almighty. Because RGs are reishi-bound to protect only SK, only Zanka no Tachi and KS were real big threats before he could activate Almighty besides list of others like Ichigo, Urahara and Zaraki.

About other prisoners, that would have created a rift or mutiny in his own Sternritter army by unlocking a bunch of unpredictable people he would have no control over. He is very cautious of these criminals just like he was wary of old Gotei being strong and murderous. Aizen wasn't probably that ancient compared to them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Episode 6 Keywords:
Shinigami and Quincy:
10.jpg
--> Shinigami purify Hollow and send it to Soul Society, while Quincy incinerate Hollow and annihilate it.
--> In order to maintain the balance of the souls, Shinigami have repeatedly attempted to communicate with Quincy, but they have been rebuffed, and the conflict has sometimes escalated into war.
--> One thousand years ago, Sternritter, led by Yhwach, invaded Soul Society, but they were defeated by the Gotei 13 corps, founded by Shigekuni Yamamoto.
--> Two hundred years ago, after a long debate, Soul Society decided to carry out a campaign to exterminate Quincy. They were supposed to have been destroyed, leaving only a few survivors.

Zanka no Tachi (Ember Blade):
11.jpg
--> The true name of Yamamoto Genryusai Shigekuni's zanpakuto, the strongest and oldest fire-type sword, "Ryuujin Jakka" (Flowing Blade Young Flame).
--> After bankai, the blade of the sword becomes like burnt charcoal, affecting the entire Soul Society to the extent that moisture is blown away from the atmosphere.
--> Its true value is demonstrated by activating four different techniques, each with a different form, bearing the names of the East, West, North, South.
--> It is so powerful that if it continues to use bankai for a long time, it will destroy the person who wields the sword and even the Soul Society.
--> The heat reaches up to 15 million degrees Celsius, scorching anything it touches without leaving any trace.
--> The flames seen when activating Zanka no Tachi, Nishi: Zanjitsu Gokui (Ember Blade, West: Remnant Sun Prison Wear) are thought to be a visualization of the overwhelming spiritual pressure of Genryusai Shigekuni Yamamoto.
--> "Zanka no Tachi, Minami: Kaka Jūmanokushi Daisōjin" (Ember Blade, South: Grand Funeral Ranks of Ten Trillion Fire Dead) has the power to heat the ashes of those slain in the past and temporarily revive the deceased.