• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

TYBW: EPISODE 2: FOUNDATION STONES

NeoPlatonist

Life is a song cue . . .
Reaction score
Well, well, well...

I did not have time last week to comment - but I must say I am deeply gratified to see the TYBW animated. Much more than I ever thought I'd be. Like many, I was disappointed when the original anime was cancelled, but I was also not at all happy with the gratuitous non-canon filler arcs. Then with the added injury of a hurried ending of the manga, I was left feeling dissatisfied on multiple levels. Now at last ... some closure. Ahhhh!
In anticipation of this return, I had privately hoped that the anime would be updated and modernized. Normally, I am not in favor of a lot of graphic violence, but I think having a more adult tone at this time speaks not only to our changing times, but to the maturing of the original fans. We have all evolved, and so has the production style and tone. Excellent.

I am usually easy to please, and I remain quite happy to receive what we are given. I love the music, the lighting, the excellent voice actors, and the edgy film noir style. This is darker than before, and the stakes feel amplified. A loss of innocence for our heroes and a poignant reminder that life is fragile and fleeting.

I hope we will get to hear Byakuya's Sasakibe eulogy - I want every precious moment from the manga immortalized - but I'm a huge fan of the interesting new cinematic edits and rearranging of story elements to enhance suspense and dramatic climax. Wonderful. And new sequences? Enhanced sequences? WIN. Total win.

I must smile at the comments about the monochromatic pink opening - I am not a great lover of pallid color washes overflowing my view screen. Give me technocolor! However, I allow for others to express their artistic sensibilities, and that it might not always be aligned with my own personal taste. So be it. (But I LOVED @The Outlier 's sepia/turquoise version!)
It's a real pleasure to see some old familiar faces here, and to read everyone's thoughtful reviews and commentary. I am grateful for you all. :tranquility

Reaction score
Episode 2 Keywords:

02.jpg

Arrancar:

--> Hollows that have removed their masks and gained the powers of Shinigami
--> The number of Hollows increased drastically due to the effect of the Hogyouku, and the adult form, which is almost human in appearance, was completed.
--> The more powerful they were when they were Hollow, the more capable they are in battle and the more human-like they become.
--> Have a broken mask, wear white shihakshou, and carry a Zanpakuto.
--> The Zanpakuto of Arrancar is the core of Arrancar's own ability sealed in the form of a sword.
--> By performing the Resurreccion, which is the equivalent of Bankai release of the Shinigami, the Zanpakuto's true abilities and form can be unleashed.
--> Also have a high spiritual pressure Steel Skin (Hierro) and the ability to move at high speeds called Sonido (Reverberating Turn), which is comparable to Shunpo (Flashing Steps) and Hirenkyaku (Pure Flying Steps) and can use Cero (Hollow Flash).
--> In general, lose the Ultra-Fast Regeneration ability in Hollow phase.

Hueco Mundo:
03.jpg
--> A space inhabited by Hollows that exists between This World and Soul Society.
--> Cannot be entered without passing through the Black Cavity (Garganta).
--> It is always night-time, and the moon is reflected in **opposite from the present world.
--> The surface of the ground is covered with a white sand-like substance and scattered with dead trees composed of a quartz-like substance.
--> There is no *water.
--> Compared to This World and Soul Society, the concentration of reishi in the atmosphere is high, and an ordinary Hollow can obtain sufficient nourishment just by breathing.
--> In addition, the combat abilities of Shinigami and Quincy are greatly increased.
--> Once upon a time, Sosuke Aizen and his subordinates occupied Hollow Night Palace (Las Noches) in Hueco Mundo.
------------

*No water, but surely Harribel's abilities, Nell's saliva and Aizen offering tea to Espadas which Tousen brought must have come from somewhere. Harribel's or Nell's ability is a separate story, because it has to do with inner powers, but tea is a generic drinking item. I don't think tea can be prepared without water, could it? I would think it this way: Hueco Mundo would not have water like how oceans, lakes and waterfalls in This World or Soul Society. There could be a way to liquify gaseous particles to turn them into liquid water droplets. There might be rare springs or dried wells containing scarce amounts.

**About moon in Hueco Mundo, it's shining on the right, mostly-right side of the viewer's perspective always like this (in manga) and also in that episode 2 keyword visual of Hueco Mundo shared above:
jJgdPjI.png
That's what it is meant by the opposite of Human World I think.

The moon in BLEACH's in-manga Human World and Soul Society is similar. It's shinning on the left/mostly left side of the viewer's perspective:

A random visual of Human World moon:
ojlbfwI.png

A random visual of Soul Society moon:
Qzs4HeR.png

The sizes, shapes and slices can be different, but the general idea and theme is that. I don't think there is a moon in BLEACH's in-manga universe of Hueco Mundo that is shinning on the left/mostly left side of the viewer's perspective. That view is always for Human World or Society Society. Also, the vice-versa.

Reaction score
The OP is suggesting we are going to see Ichigo learn the truth about Zangetsu and get his true Zanpakto during the first cour. I hope we do, it’s one of my favorite moments in the manga. The only issue with that is we have seen no hint of the “Everything But the Rain” being shown in the OP. They can’t have Ichigo get his true Zanpakto without showing that mini arc, right?

Reaction score
The OP is suggesting we are going to see Ichigo learn the truth about Zangetsu and get his true Zanpakto during the first cour. I hope we do, it’s one of my favorite moments in the manga. The only issue with that is we have seen no hint of the “Everything But the Rain” being shown in the OP. They can’t have Ichigo get his true Zanpakto without showing that mini arc, right?
That what im confused with. As Everything but the Rain flashback takes place before Ichigo true Zapakuto reveal. Everything but the Rain is happening, they were working on it back in July. I don't think it makes sense that were getting it in cour 1. (Ichigo new Zangetsu) Thats too many material for 13 episode. I think it make more sense we finish cour 1 with chapter 528 cliffhanger (49 chapters in 13 episode - 3.8 chapters per episode) or 536 cliffhanger (57 chapters in 13 episode - 4.4 chapters per episode). We have been told it going to be 4 chapters per episode average for the full show. Anything beyond that they are going too fast paced. Honestly surprised we saw animated scenes upto chapter 542. It makes me worried a bit with them rushing cour 1. I was expecting those scenes in opening 2.

Reaction score
OPs can be changed more frequently now. It can also happen that they will insert a new OP just for the flashback arc and then return to the previous OP.

I don't think the pattern of what will appear when in the last arc is written in stone. We have already seen now that TYBW is not just a copy of the manga and this is what I hoped for. Choices have been made of what can be cut, other scenes have been added and I think some scenes will appear later in a different context. I definitely hope that the speech during Sasakibe's funeral will be shown later. I can think of a good place but don't want to mention it right now.

I think it is likely that we will also get episodes with mostly new material especially in the latter half of the arc because a lot has been obviously cut. And we never got a proper look at the aftermath of the war.

Reaction score
OPs can be changed more frequently now. It can also happen that they will insert a new OP just for the flashback arc and then return to the previous OP.

I don't think the pattern of what will appear when in the last arc is written in stone. We have already seen now that TYBW is not just a copy of the manga and this is what I hoped for. Choices have been made of what can be cut, other scenes have been added and I think some scenes will appear later in a different context. I definitely hope that the speech during Sasakibe's funeral will be shown later. I can think of a good place but don't want to mention it right now.

I think it is likely that we will also get episodes with mostly new material especially in the latter half of the arc because a lot has been obviously cut. And we never got a proper look at the aftermath of the war.
I agree with the latter half having more new material since Kubo was rushed during that phase. I'd say some of cour 3 and especially 4 will have more new material apart from the manga already. The final battles in the manga were longer. So this is why perhaps cour 1 and 2 will somewhat be fast paced. The 1st opening seem like were going past after the Everything but the Rain flashback.

This is why i wish we had 5 cours instead of 4. Another 13 episodes would of helped not cutting stuff.

Reaction score
I feel they are going to reveal Zangetsu's parallel before Everything But The Rain stories. I believe we might not even see the flashback stories in the first cour because it might cut the cour ending in the middle of these stories while revealing Kaiser Gesang, and because the second cour would come after a long break, they would not take the risk of cutting that. This would have been still the case even if the cours were 5 because of the tradition of 12/13 episodes per break.

Because the first cour started with Kaiser Gesang not saying Last Nine Days, and the trailer 2 of cour 1 explicitly stated Last Nine Days, the first cour will end declaring those words thus continuing to end the song which got cut in the start of the first episode and that is chapter 546. That would be the logical way to end the cour.

Excluding Everything But The Rain past stories (which are 10 chapters) and the first cour ending on 546, the total chapters would become 57. So, 57/13 = 4.3 chapters on average per episode.

OR

If we are going to see the Everything But The Rain past stories in the first cour along with Zangetsu and Kaiser Gesang reveal, then, we would not see some chapters like 545, 544, 543 and some materials from other previous chapters like 539, 538 and others to tie things sensibly. They can be materialized later in the second cour.

This is all just my guess based on 4.3 chapters on average which would mean 4.3 x 52 = 223 which is more than 207 final arc chapters. However, if we are going to have way more fast pacing like 4.5 or even 4.8 in the first 2 cour to make room for more content including the final battle of the BLEACH and cutting down on the comedy or unnecessary filler dialogues to compensate for that fast facing, then it's good for me in a 4 cour scenario.

Also, the bankai battles were going well before the final fight. The rushing started somewhere during the time Ichigo was fighting final battle with Yhwach and Uryu's battle was nowhere to be seen. And BLEACH has already a history of final fight falling in the same pit as that (Ichigo vs Aizen). The anime also missed the opportunity on that one.

My wish was that BLEACH to get 5 cours like how EddyPita said. I am personally a fan of slow Pierrot's fights of classic BLEACH anime. It would take me a while for my brain to get used to this new fast (TikTok) pacing battles of BLEACH like how I saw Tres Bestias fought which was way too fast for my taste. Old Pierrot's slow Arrancar saga battles have spoiled me.

Yesterday, I read the flashback chapter of Soi Fon and Yoruichi and realized how short it was compared to anime episode. Then, I was able to appreciate how old Pierrot expanded so much on that little flashback in the manga we got and added extra fight scenes along with other scenes. The anime flashback far exceeded the manga one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I feel they are going to reveal Zangetsu's parallel before Everything But The Rain stories. I believe we might not even see the flashback stories in the first cour because it might cut the cour ending in the middle of these stories while revealing Kaiser Gesang, and because the second cour would come after a long break, they would not take the risk of cutting that. This would have been still the case even if the cours were 5 because of the tradition of 12/13 episodes per break.

Because the first cour started with Kaiser Gesang not saying Last Nine Days, and the trailer 2 of cour 1 explicitly stated Last Nine Days, the first cour will end declaring those words thus continuing to end the song which got cut in the start of the first episode and that is chapter 546. That would be the logical way to end the cour.

Excluding Everything But The Rain past stories (which are 10 chapters) and the first cour ending on 546, the total chapters would become 57. So, 57/13 = 4.3 chapters on average per episode.

OR

If we are going to see the Everything But The Rain past stories in the first cour along with Zangetsu and Kaiser Gesang reveal, then, we would not see some chapters like 545, 544, 543 and some materials from other previous chapters like 539, 538 and others to tie things sensibly. They can be materialized later in the second cour.

This is all just my guess based on 4.3 chapters on average which would mean 4.3 x 52 = 223 which is more than 207 final arc chapters. However, if we are going to have way more fast pacing like 4.5 or even 4.8 in the first 2 cour to make room for more content including the final battle of the BLEACH and cutting down on the comedy or unnecessary filler dialogues to compensate for that fast facing, then it's good for me in a 4 cour scenario.

Also, the bankai battles were going well before the final fight. The rushing started somewhere during the time Ichigo was fighting final battle with Yhwach and Uryu's battle was nowhere to be seen. And BLEACH has already a history of final fight falling in the same pit as that (Ichigo vs Aizen). The anime also missed the opportunity on that one.

My wish was that BLEACH to get 5 cours like how EddyPita said. I am personally a fan of slow Pierrot's fights of classic BLEACH anime. It would take me a while for my brain to get used to this new fast (TikTok) pacing battles of BLEACH like how I saw Tres Bestias fought which was way too fast for my taste. Old Pierrot's slow Arrancar saga battles have spoiled me.

Yesterday, I read the flashback chapter of Soi Fon and Yoruichi and realized how short it was compared to anime episode. Then, I was able to appreciate how old Pierrot expanded so much on that little flashback in the manga we got and added extra fight scenes along with other scenes. The anime flashback far exceeded the manga one.
I can see why chapter 546 cliffhanger would make sense with the first episode opening sequence. The only issue is does it even make sense to see that Zangetsu parrallel without Everything but the Rain story leading up to it. I feel like the suspense would be very anticlimimatic without that and wouldn't make sense. If cour 1 was about 16 episodes then yeh it could be done. Unless they cut down a lot of Everything but the Rain flashback it can happened along with Zangetsu parallel. Which wouldn't be good because of the character development of the characters in that mini arc. Or they would show most parts of Everything but the Rain in the next cour and just focused towards the end of Everything but the Rain in cour 1.

Cour 5 could of been focused for the 'final battle' we had in the last 5 chapters of the manga. But in 4 cour I fear they are gonna cut some of the shinigami long battle sequences just to expand that final battle part (last 5 chapters) in the manga.

Reaction score
^ Yes cour 5 could have been focused on the final battle alone.

I hope they not cut the long bankai battes. That would hurt the taste. I am ok for non battle filler dialogues or comedy dialogues being cut because they add nothing to the story or more precisely, I hate their existence in shonen personally.

About Kaiser Gesang, they can still reveal that while not going to the chapter 546 specifically or only picking the part from 546 that would make sense to tie.

I think they are not going to cut EBTR flashback. On the contrary, the tradition is that flashbacks are even more expanded compared to manga in BLEACH.

The page lengths of the chapters also count. I haven't checked this mathematically, but I heard TYBW has shorter chapter lengths page-wise compared to previous BLEACH arcs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
^ Yes cour 5 could have been focused on the final battle alone.

I hope they not cut the long bankai battes. That would hurt the taste. I am ok for non battle filler dialogues or comedy dialogues being cut because they add nothing to the story or more precisely, I hate their existence in shonen personally.

About Kaiser Gesang, they can still reveal that while not going to the chapter 546 specifically or only picking the part from 546 that would make sense to tie.

I think they are not going to cut EBTR flashback. On the contrary, the tradition is that flashbacks are even more expanded compared to manga in BLEACH.

The page lengths of the chapters also count. I haven't checked this mathematically, but I heard TYBW has shorter chapter lengths page-wise compared to previous BLEACH arcs.
I do hope not as well. The bankai battles in the last 50 chapters were some of the best moments in Bleach. TYBW had an average of 17 pages. That's 2 pages less than the 19 pages we had until TYBW. So it doesn't really make that much of a different. Everything but the Rain flashback has mostly heavier dialogue similar to Turn back the Pendulumn. I agree Bleach flashback usually expand must considering they only have 52 episodes to adapt this arc. I don't think they are going to expand the flashback. If Im honest i think they are going to cut a bit of it instead, gut feeling. Hope Im wrong. If this was an ongoing anime like the old anime than yes they would expand it but I don't think so. As much as I would like to see it. I don't mind if they skipped pointless terrible fights like *cough* Pepe to expand other fights.

We also have the Zero Squads to have proper fights apart from Ichibei.