• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

TYBW EPISODE 19: The White Haze

Reaction score
I STILL don't get why Cang and BG9 had to die, send them back out, even if they die, they'll at least kill some people first

Reaction score
I agree with all your Pros and the BG9 Con. Why was Cang Du’s death a Con? The fact he died or how he died?

I kind of thought only the Shinigami Captains go to Hell.
I like Cang Du's character. As a Hand to Hand Quincy fighter. I was hoping to see him redeem himself and have a battle with Soifon. This would have been a better match up to me.

Reaction score
I followed the latest discussion here with a lot of interest. It made me think.

Yhwach is a parasite. His powers, his life itself, comes from other Quincies, meaning the seed he left in every one of them since birth. It is in every person, growing with them until the time comes to harvest it. It seems with lower ranking Quincies this essence returns to Yhwach without him paying a lot of attention to it. But with Stern Ritters, it is different. He called James by name and summoned his essence, his soul to be absorbed. He also told him that he did well. To do well in life and return to Yhwach is seen as an honour. Opie obviously felt that way. He was definitely willing to die for his leader.

Cang Du and BG9 did not do well according to Yhwach's judgement. I think they died for two reasons. One, they were executed to set an example to the other Stern Ritters. They were executed to be an incentive to his fighters to really give their all - or else. Two, Yhwach knew that he will face some exceptional powerful adversaries very soon. That means he needed more raw power. He took it from two Stern Ritters who disappointed him. Especially Stern Ritters live for him and die for him. That is their purpose.

@ Kazurika

I don't think it is true that Shinigami captains automatically go to hell. Who goes to hell are exceptionally powerful Shinigami and, yes, these are often captains. On the other hand, there are Shinigami captain who don't have very strong powers. They are probably safe from going to hell.

A good example is Ichigo who is not a captain but when you only look at power levels and nothing else, he could be. He is obviously groomed as a spare Soul King and if that doesn't happen (I really hope it doesn't!) he could end up in hell after a Shinigami death. I wonder about Yumichika too. He has a vast unused potential that he doesn't use by choice. Matsumoto might qualify too if she ever regains what Aizen stole from her when she was a child.

Reaction score
I like Cang Du's character. As a Hand to Hand Quincy fighter. I was hoping to see him redeem himself and have a battle with Soifon. This would have been a better match up to me.
I feel like it would've been cool if we got more elaboration on his ability, and whatnot. Like, we get it that he's supposed to be extra durable right, but we don't see anything backing this up. Blocking a hit from casual Jugram is cool and all that, but I feel like it would've been cool if we got something saying "Cang Du is so strong that even Kenpachi can't pierce his skin" or "highest durability in the Sternritter"

Reaction score
Rukia's bankai theme:
F3h6pl4WAAE0-BB

Slip Away (Never Meant To Belong) · Shiro SAGISU · Ian Michael G Pitter

SHIRO'S SONGBOOK BLEACH Bankai!
Released on: 2022-12-14
Associated Performer: Shiro SAGISU featuring Ian Michael G Pitter
Lyricist: Mike Wyzgowski
Arranger,Composer: Shiro SAGISU

Last edited:
Reaction score
Finally, this episode marks the time Ichigo embarks on the journey back to the Soul Society. I wish we could've seen a scene or two more in Shutara's city, but alas, the story must go on.

~ Ichigo's new clothes look really nice on him in the anime. Even though the situation is dire, there was still time for the classic Bleach humor (Ichigo yelling at Ichibe'e for not telling him sooner that the second invasion has already begun).

~ Some have commented on the redundancy of the 72 layers of barriers between Seireitei and the Royal Palace and while I can see where such criticism is coming from, I personally don't mind the plot detail about said barriers.

~ The look at the staircase and Ichigo's free fall from the distance looks mesmerizing.

~ For some reason, I find it funny how Kurotsuchi was basically eavesdropping on Ichigo's conversation with Urahara.

~ Ishida shows a lot more emotion in the anime than he did in the manga, doesn't he? That's at least the case when he's around Haschwalth.

~ To this day, I see no real point in Cang Du and BG9's execution. But then again, Yhwach was created and written as a character who doesn't care and who doesn't connect to his subordinates the same way the audience would.

~ We will most likely go back to the moment when Haschwalth has said something to Ishida that we couldn't hear.

~ The beginning of Rukia vs. As Nodt was quite effective. The sequence that showed As Nodt's hand reaching for Rukia's was sped up and thanks to that even creepier than it perhaps was Kubo's intention in the manga.

~ In the anime, the "selling point" of As Nodt's character isn't the way the anime team draws and animates him, but the way the voice actor breathes life into that character.

~ This wasn't your typical Bleach fight, but it was still so well done. It's no wonder that it was one of the best rated anime episodes of that week if I'm not mistaken. The activation of Tatar Foras was terrifying (both of its versions were). As Nodt's entire existence seems to have been quite pitiful. From what I understood, As Nodt survived the Auswhaelen, but got recruited by Yhwach on his dying bed. In the end he succumbed to the very concept he was supposed to impose onto others.

~ The entire sequence leading to and including Rukia's Bankai was one of the most well done sequences in the entire TYBW arc. What Byakuya said about it is one of the most researched topics in Bleach: if the sword is swung and the price to pay is life, that sword can't protect anything.

~ I have actually forgotten what preceded the upcoming fight - that Yachiru was helping Isane before Guenael Lee made his (dis-) appearance. (Was it Rose that Isane was treating behind that Kido barrier?)