• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

TYBW ANIME NEWS

Reaction score

This is actually interesting. People can have different opinions about the finished product of the TYBW anime (pacing, cutting scenes, covering the entire arc in four instead of, let's say five cours etc.), but this short interview shows that the anime team had good communication with Kubo and that they wanted Bleach to feel like Bleach during the most important scenes.

The decision to write and show the conversation between Yhwach and Aizen was right on the money, but my favourite part of the intervew is about the big fight scene in Karakura Town (especially the part about Uryuu and how Kubo understood the level of respect that anime staff has for that character).

Reaction score

I wonder what the added scenes/cuts may be, but hopefully once the Blu-ray becomes available worldwide we'll find out about what parts of the animation were tweaked and if something was added. You can find videos about the corrections made for the first cour Blu-ray release on YouTube, so there's a chance somebody would cover the second Blu-ray set in a similar way.

There's a handful of pictures from the second cour Blu-ray set posted on Bleach subreddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/bleach/comments/1bruvb6/info_from_bluray_catalog/

Reaction score
I wonder what the added scenes/cuts may be, but hopefully once the Blu-ray becomes available worldwide we'll find out about what parts of the animation were tweaked and if something was added. You can find videos about the corrections made for the first cour Blu-ray release on YouTube, so there's a chance somebody would cover the second Blu-ray set in a similar way.

There's a handful of pictures from the second cour Blu-ray set posted on Bleach subreddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/bleach/comments/1bruvb6/info_from_bluray_catalog/
I’m guessing those scenes weren’t plot relevant if they got the cut. Probably some extra fighting scenes.

Reaction score
I’m guessing those scenes weren’t plot relevant if they got the cut. Probably some extra fighting scenes.
That may be the case. However, it's nice to know that the anime team is so dedicated to the story that they're ready to go back to an already finished project, to touch upon it, correct some mistakes they might have made and improve on the overall quality, at least for a bit.

Reaction score
For those who are interested, here is a video by MrTommo2304 that covers the release of some new information originating from the TYBW anime director. I haven't had a chance to watch/listen to it myself, but it should be interesting.

Reaction score
For those who are interested, here is a video by MrTommo2304 that covers the release of some new information originating from the TYBW anime director. I haven't had a chance to watch/listen to it myself, but it should be interesting.

I watched through the video. There is a lot of interesting stuff in it, and it is clear Kubo has had a lot of input into the anime.

But to be honest, I'm still not sure how to think about what was said regarding Hakka No Togame. The column of cold that emanates from the Bankai upon activation is revealed to "pierce Rukia through the centre" and is stated to be why the Bankai is dangerous, and why "punishment" is in the name.

Sacrificial techniques do exist in Bleach, and the curse of the Humanization Technique, but this makes Hakka no Togame the only ability in Bleach, to my knowledge, that "punishes" the user just for using it, on top of the danger to Rukia's life if she makes mistakes while using it.

It also feels like Kubo placed a hard limit on what Rukia's power can do, as a result, since she's restricted by a time limit and "punishment".

I've seen people speculate that it's "self-punishment" for what has happened involving her in the past, but I don't like the implications of that either. That, despite overcoming her guilt and even using it in a fight where she overcomes her fears, her need to "punish" herself actively manifested through her power.

I can think of three other possible reasons without involving the above:

1. It is a product of the power's nature. Absolute Zero as an ability is nothing to scoff at since it technically breaks the laws of physics. It would be immensely potent, but it would also explain why it can pose such a danger to its user without extensive training. This is the only plausible one I can think of. The following two are less likely.

2. Like what happened with Hihio Zabimaru, Sode no Shirayuki might not acknowledge or respect Rukia's power even after the Squad Zero training, so she gives Rukia a false name, resulting in a power that "punishes" Rukia because she hasn't earned genuine acknowledgment from her Zanpakuto.

Unlikely because of the story possibilities (what would Rukia need to do to earn Sode no Shirayuki's acknowledgment and respect), and Ichibei revealed to Renji the true name of his Bankai, so he could challenge his Zanpakuto and gain access to his true Bankai. So if Sode no Shirayuki did that, Ichibei could just tell Rukia her Bankai's true name.

3. Even more unlikely than the above, Ichibei actively gave Rukia a "false name" for her Bankai, for some reason. This would be dependent on future plot relevance for Rukia in the Hell Arc, on Ichibei having such power over a Zanpakuto's manifestation as to give a "false name" that overrides the Zanpakuto's will, and needing a reason why Ichibei would sabotage Rukia's development with a false Bankai name.

Reaction score
Thank you, Polgarena, for sharing MrTommo2304's impressive video!

I can see that I should watch TYBW again to refresh my memory.

It is indeed very interesting. I am glad to see it confirmed that Tite Kubo is very much involved with this anime project and that he is now telling us this story in a complete form, filling in and expanding on what we have seen in the manga. It makes me happy that this part of Bleach will be completed - and I keep hoping that Bleach will even move on from the manga including the Hell story from the special.

I will study the part with Ichigo walking on this path closely. My first impression was that Ichigo was in the process of being groomed as a spare Soul King. I am sure, in general the Shinigami who know the truth see this as an honour bestowed on Ichigo. And I am also sure, Ichigo would be a spare Soul King very willingly no matter that he would see it also as a sacrifice, what being a Soul King is. I don't think Ichigo ever understood that the Soul King was a tool, an instrument used by others, like Squad Zero and looking at the Hell story, it could very well go beyond them.

I hope Tite Kubo will explore what will happen if the truth will become public knowledge because I am sure, sooner or later it will be revealed. A lot of people know the truth and this makes hiding it forever impossible.

About Rukia's powers, Rukia is risking her life when using her new Bankai. This alone makes using it a sacrifice. Her Bankai is unique because it reminds me very much of how a Quincy uses his or her powers. This is reishi control on a very fine level. Nobody among the people who originally taught Rukia could have known about this approach. That Rukia learned this version of her powers when she was trained by Squad Zero is very interesting indeed. To me her powers don't feel like punishment but it is a unique challenge. Especially from the Shinigami perspective, this is positive, strength. Byakuya sees it this way too.

I love the last two anime episodes - so well done! Shutara was the natural choice when it comes to focus on one Bankai of a Squad Zero member. It is visually fascinating and I could see how much story potential it offers. But I think it is also obvious that Uryu's powers will unravel this sophisticated pattern she established. Squad Zero should know that and therefore I wonder if this was done by design. I guess I will learn when Bleach is back.

Reaction score
1. It is a product of the power's nature. Absolute Zero as an ability is nothing to scoff at since it technically breaks the laws of physics. It would be immensely potent, but it would also explain why it can pose such a danger to its user without extensive training. This is the only plausible one I can think of. The following two are less likely.

The training seems to be the key when it comes to Rukia's Bankai. While Ichibe'e may have revealed its true name to Rukia, which opened a path for her to train her version of "a full/final release of power", everything happened so fast in the TYBW arc and thus Rukia still has room for improvement. I agree that the most plausible explanation is the one you wrote above and that, in time, Rukia could develop her Bankai further, by either overcoming the punishing aspect of it completely, or by finding a way to stall the negative effects or something of that sort.