• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

So I rewatched Bleach

Reaction score
With the return of the TYBW I decided what I wanted to do for a very long time, which was rewatching the Bleach anime.
Last year I started the series with the Agent of the Shinigami arc. After that I continued with the Soul Society arc. After that I skipped the
Bount arc and continued with canon. In the beginning it was watchable, but the first few episodes of the Hueco Mundo arc were super boring,
because of that I decided to drop it. As some might know, I started a project to subtitle the French Bleach Kai manga cut. Today I have finished watching the whole series until the end.

I absolutely loved it. The voice acting, the OST, the presentation, the atmosphere, the emotion etc. It was exactly as how I remembered it. A year ago or something we were discussing on this board about a reboot for the anime, but they shouldn't. With all filler and padding removed, the anime is fantastic!
The animation is consistently high aside from a few episodes during the Hueco Mundo arc. Most badly animated sequences were scenes that Pierrot added to extend fights or extra scenes. In the Kai version I didn't see them that much.

The only bad thing tbh was the censorship, but all the positive points as listed above make up for it.

My view and experience of the anime, aside of the Fullbring arc, is exactly the same as back then. I didn't really like the first arc. The Soul Society arc is interesting, has good writing and gets good towards the end. The Arrancar Saga was amazing. I really didn't like the Fullbring arc back then, but this time I liked it for being different. I know Studio Pierrot made this arc longer with a lot of padding. In the Kai version, this wasn't the case. Maybe that's why I liked it this time.

Bleach was for many their gateway to anime. We see it as a mainstream series that gets judged with overly critics, Because of that Bleach(and Naruto) get underrated often. We watched many great anime afterwards and tend to believe that the first we watched were just okay. But this really wasn't the case. Bleach was the second anime I watched 11 years ago.
After that I watched many many anime that I believed to be better than Bleach. But aside of maybe Attack On Titan there wasn't any that I enjoyed as much as I did the last month with Bleach. It will forever remain one of the best and most special anime.

Reaction score
I agree with BLEACH not needing a reboot. If it needs a reimagination, I feel it has to be in other mediums like live-action, gaming or drama series separate from anime. Because of fans' memories associated with it, a reboot of the anime would always fall short before the classic. Perhaps in about 25 years in future, but not now.

Reaction score
Bleach has the benefit of being the first anime that I watched knowing what an anime is. I also happen to associate it with fond memories of hanging around with friends and discussing it during that time. Even though I feel strong nostalgia whnever I read or watch something from Bleach, it is still one of my favourite and (in my humble opinion) one of the best manga/anime stories.

Reaction score
A reviewer TotallyNotMark said he preferred the manga over the anime because it changes the likability of some of the characters. The first arc of the anime doesn't completely follow the manga which is okay but misses some of kubos poetic writing style as some narration gets lost like the depth of orihimes thoughts. When the series becomes a battle manga it has the luxury of animating fights rather then try to match kubos writing style or miss the point as kubo foreshadowed a bunch of things in the first arc that the anime misses on like ETBTR. Even the TYBW does this. Granted even the mangas first arc was well received in JUMP till Uryu showed up then the popularity slid a bit until the SS arc happened

Reaction score
A reviewer TotallyNotMark said he preferred the manga over the anime because it changes the likability of some of the characters. The first arc of the anime doesn't completely follow the manga which is okay but misses some of kubos poetic writing style as some narration gets lost like the depth of orihimes thoughts. When the series becomes a battle manga it has the luxury of animating fights rather then try to match kubos writing style or miss the point as kubo foreshadowed a bunch of things in the first arc that the anime misses on like ETBTR. Even the TYBW does this. Granted even the mangas first arc was well received in JUMP till Uryu showed up then the popularity slid a bit until the SS arc happened
That's an interesting perspective. Some of it, I think, also comes down to the intrinsic differences between manga and anime as visual media. When you're reading, you can spend more time on writing and figuring out minute details like foreshadowing. Replicating it for the anime doesn't always work out for various reasons: if the authors would dwell on those details, they'd appear as too much "on the nose" and not as poetic as they originally were in the manga.

Of course, I'd say that most of the time it comes down to what you wrote about above and/or time constraints.