• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

Nnoitra FC [v4]: Pray for the Mantis

Reaction score
You make a good point there. I agree that Aizen blatantly ignoring his treatment of Nel and letting him rise to the rank of 5 (basically, the highest level under Vasto Lorde) shows at least he values either Nnoitra as a person or his aggressive behavior. Whether it's because he intended him to be a replacement Ouken or he just likes to encourage competition amongst his men I'm not sure, but at the very least his only interaction with Nnoitra is to just let him do whatever he wants.

I agree. Aizen certainly gave Nnoitra more freedom than the other espada. Especially Grimmjow whom he indirectly punished for failing in the WOTL and spiritual pressure stomped him for trying to act independently. It's strange he would punish Grimmjow so much for so little (in Bleach/hollow standards) while letting Nnoitra disable and throw out a high ranking espada.:apathy Of course we didn't see Aizen's reaction to Nnoitra's cover story (assuming he gave one), but seeing as Nnoitra had all his arms I don't believe he was punished. Very interesting.

I wish Kubo gave us some background on Nnoitra as a hollow before becoming an arrancar and how Aizen got him to join his army. Might give us some information on this theory.

That's an interesting fact and it makes perfect sense. Kubo was at the very least thorough about his research. I had heard rumors on this site that Kubo did in fact base his series heavily on Greek Mythology, so I wanted to check it out for myself to see if there was some truth to it (although I mostly researched the creatures rather than the humans since that's where my interests lie). What I found was surprising! I had an old thread documenting what I found, but I'm tempted to repost more of it.

Oh yes Kubo is certainly very good at tying in mythology with his characters and setting (Tekking101 made a video on how Bleach relates to Buddism. Very interesting stuff there). The Greek mythology thread sounds interesting! I'll go check it out if I can find it!:)

Reaction score
I would love to know how Nnoitra explained away what happened to Nelliel. Szayelaporro should have at least reported this to Aizen, so there is no way Aizen didn't know about it. Maybe it's something like why the SR were expressly forbidden to fight each other. An emotional reaction would be undesirable for Quincy, but for a Hollow whose powers are based on their emotions, perhaps in-fighting might be just what Aizen wanted. Those who go around picking fights (not mentioning any names :XD) would be getting stronger.

It begs the question of whether the order to remain in their palaces to wait for the intruders was merely reverse psychology, although that wouldn't explain why Grimmjow was forced to his knees for wanting to run off and deal with them. Does that mean Aizen didn't want Grimmjow to be the one making first contact? Rather odd if Aizen's plan was for Ichigo to gain power by fighting both Grimmjow and Ulquiorra. Why allow Nnoitra to be the first to run off to deal with Ichigo and the others if he wasn't supposed to be part of the power-up plan for Ichigo?

Why so permissive of Nnoitra in general? I mean, guess who pretty much had his feet up on the table during the meeting?
bleach-1589654.jpg
There would have been an issue with any of the others being so rude. :uhuh

Was Aizen intending for Nnoitra and Zaraki to fight, and if so what would the expected result supposed to be? I feel like we're missing half the story here.

Reaction score
I would love to know how Nnoitra explained away what happened to Nelliel. Szayelaporro should have at least reported this to Aizen, so there is no way Aizen didn't know about it. Maybe it's something like why the SR were expressly forbidden to fight each other. An emotional reaction would be undesirable for Quincy, but for a Hollow whose powers are based on their emotions, perhaps in-fighting might be just what Aizen wanted. Those who go around picking fights (not mentioning any names ) would be getting stronger.
I agree. Aizen certainly gave Nnoitra more freedom than the other espada. Especially Grimmjow whom he indirectly punished for failing in the WOTL and spiritual pressure stomped him for trying to act independently. It's strange he would punish Grimmjow so much for so little (in Bleach/hollow standards) while letting Nnoitra disable and throw out a high ranking espada. Of course we didn't see Aizen's reaction to Nnoitra's cover story (assuming he gave one), but seeing as Nnoitra had all his arms I don't believe he was punished. Very interesting.

I absolutely agree that Aizen encourages as much infighting as possible. It relates very well to their nature as hollows because they'd have to be constantly fighting to survive. It's a very different world from the Vandenreich where nothing but teamwork is encouraged. I think Grimmjow's poor treatment is from a combination of challenging Aizen directly and loosing to Luppi (since I think Aizen would look down heavily on the fact that he lost more than anything). Nnoitra seems to know who his boss is and is respectful for the most part, although he does have a strong independent side. As for him explaining away what happened to Nel, I imagine it would go something like this: "Yeah, I got rid of her, so what of it?!" He probably doesn't care what people think about his actions and I don't think Aizen does either.
It begs the question of whether the order to remain in their palaces to wait for the intruders was merely reverse psychology, although that wouldn't explain why Grimmjow was forced to his knees for wanting to run off and deal with them. Does that mean Aizen didn't want Grimmjow to be the one making first contact? Rather odd if Aizen's plan was for Ichigo to gain power by fighting both Grimmjow and Ulquiorra. Why allow Nnoitra to be the first to run off to deal with Ichigo and the others if he wasn't supposed to be part of the power-up plan for Ichigo?
Interesting question. I'm not so sure Nnoitra followed the rules but then again, Aizen doesn't enforce them. I have a fan theory that the reason why Starrk showed up so fast afterward is because Ichigo's fighting Nnoitra was unintentional and Aizen had Starrk on standby to help out if something went wrong. I guess we'll never know if the fight truly was intentional or not.

Reaction score
I absolutely agree that Aizen encourages as much infighting as possible. It relates very well to their nature as hollows because they'd have to be constantly fighting to survive. It's a very different world from the Vandenreich where nothing but teamwork is encouraged. I think Grimmjow's poor treatment is from a combination of challenging Aizen directly and loosing to Luppi (since I think Aizen would look down heavily on the fact that he lost more than anything). Nnoitra seems to know who his boss is and is respectful for the most part, although he does have a strong independent side. As for him explaining away what happened to Nel, I imagine it would go something like this: "Yeah, I got rid of her, so what of it?!" He probably doesn't care what people think about his actions and I don't think Aizen does either.
I think you're right that the in-fighting is a product of their environment. Those who don't want to fight become fuel for those who have sufficient resolve to keep fighting. If left to his own devices, the strongest will naturally claw his way to the top of the food chain.

Aizen was probably secretly amused that Nnoitra was able to defeat someone several ranks higher. That isn't supposed to happen if the rank structure is as rigid as it appears. #8 would normally be unable to do anything against #7, much less #3. If Nnoitra's powers work like Ichigo's and Zaraki's (to unlock more power as needed for a particular opponent), that would certainly bear for Aizen to watch.

I'm not so sure Nnoitra followed the rules but then again, Aizen doesn't enforce them. I have a fan theory that the reason why Starrk showed up so fast afterward is because Ichigo's fighting Nnoitra was unintentional and Aizen had Starrk on standby to help out if something went wrong. I guess we'll never know if the fight truly was intentional or not.
That sounds quite plausible, although perhaps the damage control should have shown up a bit sooner if the intent was to rescue Ichigo from someone he was unprepared to face. All Starrk did was grab Inoue, thereby forcing Ichigo toward the planned battle with Ulquiorra.

IMO Nnoitra wasn't intended to get anywhere near Ichigo, considering how badly Ichigo was losing. His bankai did absolutely nothing against Nnoitra, he didn't even try his Hollow mask, and then Nnoitra handed him off to Tesra. He really would have died if Zaraki hadn't shown up because he wasn't fighting back. Which I think just goes to show that the ranking system isn't tiered as precisely as fans might like to claim. Why would #6 and #4 be planned battles if it means skipping over #5? Doesn't that mean Nnoitra's power should be above Ulquiorra's? :idk

I would like to hear Aizen's logic in his rankings, why he planned those particular battles for Ichigo, why he didn't step in sooner when Nnoitra was obliterating Ichigo, etc. Although come to think of it, if Ichigo had died at that point, IchiThing probably would have shown up sooner. Wouldn't that change the story? :XD

Reaction score
There is apparently something about Nnoitra in the new Bleach fanbook. He has been mentioned on a page together with Squad Zero. Coincidently, Shuutara is missing from that page. Maybe there is indeed a connection between the two of them :D.
So far, he and Lynette are the only two Arrancar and Non-Shinigami who appeared in the Fanbook. But with Lynette it was more in a sidenote about Ukitake's antics with her during the FKT arc. Dunno what's with Nnoitra, but it could give hope for a possible comeback.
Sadly I can't read japanese, so I don't what exactly stands there. Anyway here is the pic, for those that are interested. It's not much, but at least he was mentioned in a book about the Gotei.
nrc6sWR.jpg

Reaction score
There is apparently something about Nnoitra in the new Bleach fanbook. He has been mentioned on a page together with Squad Zero. Coincidently, Shuutara is missing from that page. Maybe there is indeed a connection between the two of them .
So far, he and Lynette are the only two Arrancar and Non-Shinigami who appeared in the Fanbook. But with Lynette it was more in a sidenote about Ukitake's antics with her during the FKT arc. Dunno what's with Nnoitra, but it could give hope for a possible comeback.
Sadly I can't read japanese, so I don't what exactly stands there. Anyway here is the pic, for those that are interested. It's not much, but at least he was mentioned in a book about the Gotei.

Thanks for sharing. I noticed it too! I first thought it was a fan art because its style is so different than anything Kubo does, but perhaps it was him experimenting with another style and there is more to it. It would be very nice if there were additional information on him. Even if it is just fan art, it can't hurt. It means he still is considered well-liked and memorable.

Reaction score
Too small to translate. :XD Let's see if a better scan turns up before my copy gets here. Now that I know there's something worthwhile in it, I can order it once I'm awake.

It looks like a fanart, but it's nice that he got included at all. One of his battles (probably with Zaraki) ranked as well. :wha

Reaction score
That's awesome!!! If the drawing is by a fan, the fact that other people like and miss Nnoitra makes me happy! :joyous Of course if that drawing is by Kubo and he has said something about Nnoitra, then I'd be super happy too! Just seeing another official Nnoitra drawing from Kubo would be great! Though I agree with Akhal-teke's first impression that it is most likely fan-made due to the different style.

I really hope it gets translated soon!!!:wah

Reaction score
Okay So I already posted about this guy in the As Nodt fanclub but seeing as he is a combination of both As Nodt and Nnoitra, I need to share it here too.

THIS CHARACTER MISOUSUJI AKIRA FROM YOWAMUSHI PEDAL REMINDS ME SO MUCH OF Nnoitra!!!:crazy:crazy:crazy
maxresdefault.jpg

Okay so obviously he has Nnoitra's mouth, but he also shares his lanky and tall, yet built body type, cruelty, desire to win and rudeness. Not to mention he is also sympathetic like Nnoitra. While watching Yowamushi Pedal it felt like I had Nnoitra (and As Nodt) back! So he didn't die guys he just joined a Bicycle club! XD

Reaction score
^ So cool, it does kinda look like him! :wha I guess he is still with us even if Kubo seems done with him.

My books finally showed up so here's the one image from 13 Blades:
13blades-nnoitra.png
It is just a fanart, but it's still nice that a fanart of him was included at all. Kon's comment says he looks scary. :rofl