• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

Nnoitra FC [v4]: Pray for the Mantis

Reaction score
This fanclub is for fans of Nnoitra. If you like this character, please join!

Welcome to version 4.​

Owner: Minerva

Members (10):
  1. akhal-teke
  2. Angel26278
  3. Colossus
  4. Erza clockworker
  5. Forbidden Tale
  6. keitoz
  7. Minerva
  8. Moves like Jaeger
  9. PlagueDoctor
  10. tanjienio
  11. Tori
  12. WhiteChocolate

Last edited:
Reaction score
YES. I will join.
And for my first fanart contribution!
tumblr_mjdlwgd6F11s80ot4o1_500.jpg

By サワ

Reaction score
Welcome, keitoz! :glomp Glad someone else joined. Why do you like Nnoitra?

Cool fanart! :wha

Reaction score
Welcome, keitoz! :glomp Glad someone else joined. Why do you like Nnoitra?

Cool fanart! :wha

At first I didn't like him; you know, judging by the book.
But when we got to his flashback, or really at the beginning of his fight with Kenpachi, I began to understand him.

He's the Espada of Despair, too. I can't really explain it.
Unlike Ulquiorra though, he's kind of like an open book. He expresses himself. He's very passionate and I dunno. I guess I'm attracted to these kinds of characters (I also like Szayel)?

And I am just in LOVE with his hair in the flashback. How it curls slightly in the ends...~

Reaction score
At first I didn't like him; you know, judging by the book.
But when we got to his flashback, or really at the beginning of his fight with Kenpachi, I began to understand him.

He's the Espada of Despair, too. I can't really explain it.
Unlike Ulquiorra though, he's kind of like an open book. He expresses himself. He's very passionate and I dunno. I guess I'm attracted to these kinds of characters (I also like Szayel)?
Yes. If Nnoitra wants to express something, it comes out in the end. He's a bundle of emotional nerve endings waiting for a place to happen. We normally think of Hollows as being heartless and emotionless, but really, I think it's just that most of them won't allow their emotions to show. As Ulquiorra had said, emotions cause pain for humans. Most Hollows would rather set aside their emotions because that is what got them in this mess in the first place. In Nnoitra's case though, it is like his poem, that he remembers there's something better than the state he is currently in and that is why he is so miserable in HM. He won't allow himself to forget what he lost. He may try to drown his sorrow in battle but he still remembers that it wasn't always like this for him.

Compare that to someone like Szayelaporro who enjoys being Hollow and enjoys that detachment from everyone around him, and we can see why Nnoitra said he and Szayelaporro were nothing alike. Their basic ideology is radically different. One prides himself on being alone in his perfection and the other can't bear to be alone like this.

Oh! What I wanted to say in the chapter thread but was sure someone would point and laugh: it rains when our new Hollow friend appears. With Kubo using rain as a metaphor for despair, do you think there might be some connection between this new Hollow and Nnoitra? He in no way resembles Nnoitra, but if Aizen is already experimenting in HM, how many despairing Hollows does he have at his disposal?

And I am just in LOVE with his hair in the flashback. How it curls slightly in the ends...~
I love the little flips in his old hairstyle too. It reminds me of Rukia's previous hairstyle for some reason. So cute.

Reaction score
Yes. If Nnoitra wants to express something, it comes out in the end. He's a bundle of emotional nerve endings waiting for a place to happen. We normally think of Hollows as being heartless and emotionless, but really, I think it's just that most of them won't allow their emotions to show. As Ulquiorra had said, emotions cause pain for humans. Most Hollows would rather set aside their emotions because that is what got them in this mess in the first place. In Nnoitra's case though, it is like his poem, that he remembers there's something better than the state he is currently in and that is why he is so miserable in HM. He won't allow himself to forget what he lost. He may try to drown his sorrow in battle but he still remembers that it wasn't always like this for him.

Compare that to someone like Szayelaporro who enjoys being Hollow and enjoys that detachment from everyone around him, and we can see why Nnoitra said he and Szayelaporro were nothing alike. Their basic ideology is radically different. One prides himself on being alone in his perfection and the other can't bear to be alone like this.

Oh! What I wanted to say in the chapter thread but was sure someone would point and laugh: it rains when our new Hollow friend appears. With Kubo using rain as a metaphor for despair, do you think there might be some connection between this new Hollow and Nnoitra? He in no way resembles Nnoitra, but if Aizen is already experimenting in HM, how many despairing Hollows does he have at his disposal?

I love the little flips in his old hairstyle too. It reminds me of Rukia's previous hairstyle for some reason. So cute.

UGH! I am soooo fangirl over his younger self. Gah! I just-- zzz. All the feels...

Haha I think the flashback may answer that question in time. Hmm... but I don't think Nnoitra was Arrancarized just yet?
I have no idea. We know absolutely nothing about the new Hollow except that he kind of resembles Hollow!Ichigo.

Nnoitra was the perfect aspect of Despair. You would think "emo", but no... Gosh no. Nnoitra was just perfect. Kubo did well.
I hope he's alive (and his Tesra too)... you know, for the sake of plot depth at least. Like he could be stuck with Tia. Who knows all the Arrancars they have captured? There's only so many knowing the "Hollow Level Tree". And Nnoitra IS tied to Nel who is still alive... He could be the trigger/excuse to her adult form again because I just can't see Nel staying like a child forever. Not with her popularity.

Reaction score
Haha I think the flashback may answer that question in time. Hmm... but I don't think Nnoitra was Arrancarized just yet?
Depends on the timeline. Nnoitra is one of the older Arrancars; he was in Las Noches already during the time Baraggan ruled HM. Remember, he made that comment about how he no longer needed to be respectful to Szayelaporro once he was no longer an Espada. He was #8 when Szayelaporro was Cero. I guess the question is, was everyone under Baraggan's rule a Hollow -- or did some manage to Arrancarize themselves already? We could make the argument that Baraggan with his axe was an Arrancar who preferred that form instead of a human form; we do not see Hollows wielding a separate weapon normally -- or wearing clothes.

We also have three other figures on the dais with Baraggan who are also wearing clothes:
bleach-2401653.jpg
The page with the ewer, the tall figure with the white cape (my crack theory is this is Nnoitra since it looks like the collar of his uniform), and a third figure with a heavy cape. Two of Baraggan's Espada, perhaps? So I believe there were some Arrancar under Baraggan already before Aizen arrived.

Hopefully we'll get an answer since Isshin definitely knows about the "mock-Arrancar" that were in HM a while back. I would like to see that information included in this flashback.

I have no idea. We know absolutely nothing about the new Hollow except that he kind of resembles Hollow!Ichigo.
We do know about the rain falling when he appears -- and Kubo has been hammering that symbolism in since we found out about how Masaki supposedly died. I would like to think there's some connection there, that there's a reason Nnoitra got Despair instead of one of the other Aspects. It's not like Kubo has expounded at great length about Old Age or Madness in the manga.

Nnoitra was the perfect aspect of Despair. You would think "emo", but no... Gosh no. Nnoitra was just perfect. Kubo did well.
I hope he's alive (and his Tesra too)... you know, for the sake of plot depth at least. Like he could be stuck with Tia. Who knows all the Arrancars they have captured? There's only so many knowing the "Hollow Level Tree". And Nnoitra IS tied to Nel who is still alive... He could be the trigger/excuse to her adult form again because I just can't see Nel staying like a child forever. Not with her popularity.
You don't think Nnoitra is a bit emo with his hair over one eye? :XD He's like Kira in that respect, and there is that in-manga character comment about Kira being emo from his FKT battle. Nnoitra is cuter though.

I hope he's still alive too. I mean, if Kubo can confirm Gin dead, I would think he would have said something to confirm Nnoitra by this point if that were the case. He seems to dodge on certain characters, especially those he likes. He still hasn't explained what happened to Nnoitra's zanpakutou that it changed; that may be relevant considering Harribel's girls managed to get a power-up as Arrancars. If they did much the same feat as Nnoitra, it should be explained in-story even if the cause of their power-up is obvious.

I would make a correction though about being tied to Nel. Much like the situations of Ichigo fighting Grand Fisher and Byakuya, Nnoitra had to fight to work out his issue with Nelliel, and that issue is IMO related to Zaraki holding himself back in hopes of fighting Unohana again one day. Once his battle with Nelliel ended, he like Zaraki could finally move forward for a higher calling in battle. Zaraki finally communicates with his zanpakutou as a true Shinigami, and Nnoitra ... well, we don't know. :XD He was supposed to figure out why he should be fighting. I doubt Kubo dropped the thread entirely, he never does. He will pick it up at the proper time. It probably would have ruined something to show at that point where Nnoitra's heart is; not yet enough build-up or general humanizing of the Arrancar species. We didn't really get that information for any Arrancar until Ulquiorra turned to ash forty chapters later.

Also for Nel's part, the one for whom she regained adult form last time was Ichigo -- with intent to kill Nnoitra for hurting Ichigo. It is Ichigo who gives her the impetus to wield her old powers for a short time; it is for him that she (temporarily) regained her heart and will to protect. She is happier not fighting, according to her brothers, but would certainly run to Ichigo's rescue if needed. In Kubo's pattern though, Nnoitra would probably never fight Ichigo again, so there's no reason for Nel to need her old powers to fight Nnoitra again.

Reaction score
Depends on the timeline. Nnoitra is one of the older Arrancars; he was in Las Noches already during the time Baraggan ruled HM. Remember, he made that comment about how he no longer needed to be respectful to Szayelaporro once he was no longer an Espada. He was #8 when Szayelaporro was Cero. I guess the question is, was everyone under Baraggan's rule a Hollow -- or did some manage to Arrancarize themselves already? We could make the argument that Baraggan with his axe was an Arrancar who preferred that form instead of a human form; we do not see Hollows wielding a separate weapon normally -- or wearing clothes.

We also have three other figures on the dais with Baraggan who are also wearing clothes:
bleach-2401653.jpg
The page with the ewer, the tall figure with the white cape (my crack theory is this is Nnoitra since it looks like the collar of his uniform), and a third figure with a heavy cape. Two of Baraggan's Espada, perhaps? So I believe there were some Arrancar under Baraggan already before Aizen arrived.

Hopefully we'll get an answer since Isshin definitely knows about the "mock-Arrancar" that were in HM a while back. I would like to see that information included in this flashback.

We do know about the rain falling when he appears -- and Kubo has been hammering that symbolism in since we found out about how Masaki supposedly died. I would like to think there's some connection there, that there's a reason Nnoitra got Despair instead of one of the other Aspects. It's not like Kubo has expounded at great length about Old Age or Madness in the manga.

You don't think Nnoitra is a bit emo with his hair over one eye? :XD He's like Kira in that respect, and there is that in-manga character comment about Kira being emo from his FKT battle. Nnoitra is cuter though.

I hope he's still alive too. I mean, if Kubo can confirm Gin dead, I would think he would have said something to confirm Nnoitra by this point if that were the case. He seems to dodge on certain characters, especially those he likes. He still hasn't explained what happened to Nnoitra's zanpakutou that it changed; that may be relevant considering Harribel's girls managed to get a power-up as Arrancars. If they did much the same feat as Nnoitra, it should be explained in-story even if the cause of their power-up is obvious.

I would make a correction though about being tied to Nel. Much like the situations of Ichigo fighting Grand Fisher and Byakuya, Nnoitra had to fight to work out his issue with Nelliel, and that issue is IMO related to Zaraki holding himself back in hopes of fighting Unohana again one day. Once his battle with Nelliel ended, he like Zaraki could finally move forward for a higher calling in battle. Zaraki finally communicates with his zanpakutou as a true Shinigami, and Nnoitra ... well, we don't know. :XD He was supposed to figure out why he should be fighting. I doubt Kubo dropped the thread entirely, he never does. He will pick it up at the proper time. It probably would have ruined something to show at that point where Nnoitra's heart is; not yet enough build-up or general humanizing of the Arrancar species. We didn't really get that information for any Arrancar until Ulquiorra turned to ash forty chapters later.

Also for Nel's part, the one for whom she regained adult form last time was Ichigo -- with intent to kill Nnoitra for hurting Ichigo. It is Ichigo who gives her the impetus to wield her old powers for a short time; it is for him that she (temporarily) regained her heart and will to protect. She is happier not fighting, according to her brothers, but would certainly run to Ichigo's rescue if needed. In Kubo's pattern though, Nnoitra would probably never fight Ichigo again, so there's no reason for Nel to need her old powers to fight Nnoitra again.

Oh my bad. For some reason I automatically thought Nnoitra would be threatening enough to Urahara and Co. that Nel would be triggered, but I should know better that he might not do that lol. But then with Grimmjow there he might be a little pissed...
So if it's the intent to protect that triggers her transformation, then it's not only Nnoitra that can do it. Maybe someone could be threatening Dondochakka enough when she finds him that she finds her killing intent.

Well I love Nel either way; kid or not a kid. So I don't mind.
It's just that I KNOW Kubo isn't going to keep her a child. He's going to find some weird loophole, I swear.

And nope! Never once thought Nnoitra was the emo-type. Hell, MY bangs cover my eyes sometimes and I'm not emo... Well at least not the stereotype of it? XD

Wow I do see those three, clad figures! They do look human-sized/humanoid. Ah, but Nnoitra? Hmm. That could explain how he met Tesra.
And I feel like Barragan is just a special case with his form and being able to choose it. Kubo just being creative I guess. He likes dem skulls.

Reaction score
Oh my bad. For some reason I automatically thought Nnoitra would be threatening enough to Urahara and Co. that Nel would be triggered, but I should know better that he might not do that lol. But then with Grimmjow there he might be a little pissed...
So if it's the intent to protect that triggers her transformation, then it's not only Nnoitra that can do it. Maybe someone could be threatening Dondochakka enough when she finds him that she finds her killing intent.
Nah. If Nnoitra is still alive, he will have changed enough to not be randomly attacking everyone he meets. That is one of the criteria for his survival as I see it. If he hasn't changed, he would still be an antagonist and we know antagonists get killed off left and right. Gin is truly dead despite his love for Rangiku because really, Gin went about things the wrong way.

Nnoitra seems to have met all the requirements for a conversion experience, so he has the potential to "turn" properly -- not to mention most Arrancar we see after this point will be sympathetic and firmly on the protagonist side. He probably wouldn't be too happy to see Grimmjow alive, but he would (probably) behave himself in favour of dealing with the larger issue.

There was something in the novels about Mayuri figuring out what triggered Nel's changes; it probably comes down to intent or heart or whatever you want to call it. Everything in Bleach comes down to "the heart". :XD In that case, yes, it wasn't Nnoitra per se triggering the change (she was cowering behind a rock from the time Nnoitra appeared), it was her desire to protect Ichigo overriding her fear of Nnoitra. If she had been conscious while Tesra was busy shredding Ichigo, she probably would have changed again at that point to resume protecting Ichigo. She is a knight, after all. All knight-protectors need someone to protect. I hope she doesn't get herself killed trying to protect Ichigo from someone she can't handle.

And nope! Never once thought Nnoitra was the emo-type. Hell, MY bangs cover my eyes sometimes and I'm not emo... Well at least not the stereotype of it? XD
I figured if he was a human now, he would be the kid in the corner of the library writing gloomy poetry and getting picked on. :XD He's not exactly the most cheerful person, but certainly some of that is an artefact of being trapped in HM. Maybe he is a happier person when he has what he lost? "Over the moon" and all, similar to his tagline.

Wow I do see those three, clad figures! They do look human-sized/humanoid. Ah, but Nnoitra? Hmm. That could explain how he met Tesra..
I find it funny that we don't know when/how he met Tesra. We have that information for the other Espada who have Fraccion. I wonder if Tesra was already with him under Baraggan's rule, or was it not until later? I can't tell from Aizen's numbering system. Tesra is only a few numbers older than Harribel's girls, and Harribel is one of the (relative) newcomers. I want a real timeline for HM, is it obvious? :XD

I really wonder if that is Nnoitra in the white cape. I wouldn't have thought of it when that chapter was released, but knowing now that the Espada already existed at that point, it's possible. Typical court: ruler/royal family seated on the dais, advisors standing nearby, common courtiers on the lower level. Baraggan's Espada would certainly be above those Hollows bowing on the lower level, and we know Nnoitra was already an Espada around that time.

And I feel like Barragan is just a special case with his form and being able to choose it. Kubo just being creative I guess. He likes dem skulls
That still doesn't explain Baraggan's axe, though. Hollows don't carry weapons. We have a lot of Hollows who don't have a real weapon besides their actual claws, etc., and now our new Hollow friend has his "attached" blades like Ichigo and Aizen ended up with. That is why I think Baraggan is probably already an Arrancar at that point, because we have seen Arrancar releases with separate weapons like Nnoitra's scythes.

That might have some interesting implications if the Espada were those who were Arrancar and therefore "better" than the Hollows who were un-Arrancarized. Kind of like that Menos Forest filler where the lower Hollows were impressed by Nel's being an Arrancar. I wonder if that might be part of the criteria for becoming an Espada, like Nelliel mentioned that Nnoitra was still being childish even after becoming an Espada. It means he wasn't one initially. What enabled him to reach that level? Natural Arrancar are supposed to be rare; is that level some kind of "holy grail" of power for Hollows?

Reaction score
You make great points; it gives me no room for a response! XD

Hmm I think Natural Arrancars are rare, but probably not "holy grail" rare?
And I don't think it's attainable. Maybe one of those innate things? It's all speculation so far...

And yeah i wonder what made Nnoitra "despair". What happened? Gahh...
You would think his flashback would explain it, and I know that Nel being higher/stronger than him was driving him insane, but despair?