• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

Ishida x Ichigo FC NEW - Yin & Yang: Shinigami & Quincy

Reaction score
Tite Kubo is always good for surprises. I can see now why Uryuu was not happy to see Ichigo in "There Will Be Frost". He wanted Ichigo and friends to be FAR away when he sets off the explosion that would destroy the Royal Realm, killing Bach and himself along with so many others. Ichigo wandered in while Bach was asleep. From Uryuu`s perspective, it was really bad timing. But in reality, Ichigo prevented the execution of a desperate plan.

He returned as a friend and the broken bond between them healed. I could see that Uryuu emerged as if he turned into a different person, a person Haschwalth has never met before. As I could see very clearly, I was right: A person like Uryuu, someone who is a damaged soul and for whom making friends is very difficult, needs his friends more than someone like Ichigo. Without them he becomes lost. He is dependent on them for his own well being, for his inner balance.

Uryuu realized that there might be another way, that the key to the answer of his desperate question if he should activate the chips, is team work, of working together with his friends.

Uryuu`s recovery happened very quickly. I smiled, watching the familiar pattern returning: Uryuu explaining his observations to Ichigo and Ichigo is listening carefully. For once he is not arguing seriously with his friend but does what Uryuu urged him to do: moving on to deal with Bach while Uryuu is fighting Haschwalth.

It shows a deep understanding and trust on both sides. It felt so good to see that again! It also shows that Uryuu believes that Ichigo has a better chance than him to deal with Bach. (If that is true remains to be seen. Uryuu doesn`t know that Ichigo is part Quincy and that Bach took over his body, using him to cut the Soul King in half).

(Chapter 661: My Last Words)

bleach-7019431.jpg

It made me happy to see Uryuu smiling like this, happy, relaxed and confident. He is whole again now that Ichigo is back in his life as his friend. (Not that he ever really lost him, but I am sure he felt that way). And Ichigo is no longer angry, no longer shouting. His smile shows his affection, the bond between them.

Uryuu is highly motivated. He knows that Haschwalth might be stronger than he is but for the sake of the future of the world of the living, his friends, for Ichigo he is determined to give his friend as much time as he can. He is no longer suicidal but he is definitely prepared to die in this battle if he has to.

I believe Uryuu is aware of it that should Ichigo fail to kill Bach (and I think he will), he will pay the price. One way or the other, Bach will punish him and point out to Ichigo that it was his fault. If I am right, the drama between them will happen, just a bit later...

Wonderland

Follow the white rabbit
Reaction score
Ichigo's smile was such a wonderful thing to see! His smile was contagious, as it brought a smile to me as well. I already expect to see them both start bickering like an old maried couple after everything is said and done. :)

Reaction score
A lot has happened since I posted in this FC before. Looking back, I am grateful that Tite Kubo didn`t use the most obvious paths when it comes to the relationship between Uryuu and Ichigo. Their crisis was brief and over when they finally had the chance to be alone, when both of them could feel and re-establish their bond with each other.

It is first of all this image that reflects that. It is an image that still appears frequently in the Shounen Jump magazine in announcements and advertising, meaning Ichigo and how he looks at Uryuu:

(Chapter 659: There Will Be Frost)

bleach-6937237.jpg

To me, it looks as if Ichigo is looking into Uryuu`s soul. Ichigo`s expression reflects surprise but first of all worry and affection. Ichigo wants to help. His primal instinct is kicking in.

But Uryuu is not making this easy. He is not prepared yet to give up his desperate plan because if he can get his friends to leave through the sun gate, he can still blow himself and everything around him up without harming them.

Both of them learn from Haschwalth that this is not an option. Uryuu doesn`t need to say it that he drops his plan. After there is no longer a disagreement, they are acting together like a well oiled unit. I can see that they combine their strengths and weaknesses in a familiar pattern, becoming stronger, more confident, more efficient together. I enjoyed watching this process very much. It did not develop over night but is the result of a long and also colourful history together.

Uryuu and Ichigo are two very different people but also two halves who form a stronger whole. And there is one aspect both of them agree with very strongly: Both of them are protectors. Both of them would do nearly anything for their friends.

In the past his father gave Uryuu the cruel choice to decide what he wants: his powers or his friends. Uryuu took the powers and chose to help his friends with them. His friends mattered more to him than his honour as a Quincy and obeying his father. In other words, powers are a means to an end and the end is for protecting others, family, friends and also strangers.

It is something Uryuu and Ichigo have in common. Ichigo accepted Rukia`s selfless offer to give him power - if he survives - for saving his family. And Uryuu was never interested in power for its own sake. He could have been a dedicated, powerful follower of Bach. He was never interested in becoming "important" this way. Both of them don`t need, don`t want power for stroking their egos, for feeling like it makes them "better" than others. People who think this way are misguided in their opinion - and mine.

It helps to have power in a dangerous universe like Bleach. It helps to have money. But none of it can be a substitute for friendship. You can`t enforce true friendship. You can`t buy true friendship. And this is probably the main reason why friendship is so precious. And why it can be so powerful especially in a dangerous conflict Ichigo and Uryuu have to deal with.

Nevertheless, having powers is part of Uryuu`s and also Ichigo`s identity. It is part of who they are. They value their powers, they see themselves as chosen ones but at the same time they accept this gift they were given with a strong sense of responsibility, to use it for good, for the benefit of helping those who can`t defend themselves.

Haschwalth never got it, never undestood how misguided he was. If he survives - and I hope he does - I will probably have to add, until now. His "Freund Schild" (Friend Shield) is a very poor substitute for real friendship. It might protect him, keep him safe but it has no soul. And if I am right, it is close to breaking, probably broken after Haschwalth got hit by Auswaehlen.

At the beginning of Bleach, Ichigo reached out to Uryuu, showing him how misguided he was, started to teach him what it means to have friends. I hope the coming chapters will show Uryuu doing the same for Haschwalth, teaching him what he learned about friendship, about what power should be about.

And I am sure, Ichigo would do the same. By helping Haschwalth, by offering him friendship and guidance, it will also benefit the bond between Uryuu and Ichigo. As strong as it is, as far as Uryuu has come, he still has a long way to go.

I was so right about Ishida`s motivations, his link to his friends and especially Ichigo - it touched me deeply. Tite Kubo let Uryuu say exactly what also went through my mind. It felt good to hear this. It made me smile and showed me again why I like this character so much.

Nevertheless, what Uryuu said to Haschwalth is also reflecting something else, something that always bothered me when it comes to Uryuu`s link with his friends. They mean the world to him. He showed this in so many different ways. And he still says "if in any way... I have started to resemble that motley crew, even in the slightest... it would bring me immense joy".

In other words, Uryuu wants so very much to be a part of this group but he is not sure if he actually really belongs. It is about time that his friends finally let Uryuu know how much he means to them. It would make Uryuu so happy but he would never ask for it, never open up to them with his most private feelings.

I think on some level Uryuu is afraid of being hurt again. And I think he might wonder if he actually deserves being part of the group. Uryuu`s sense of self worth, of self confidence is not well developed. And I mainly blame Ryuuken for that.

Uryuu`s friendship is unconditional.

(Chapter 680: The End 2)

bleach-7759603.jpg

What Uryuu says in this chapter is simply beautiful. But it is also typical that such strong, emotional, personal outbursts take place when the person or persons it is directed at can`t hear it, can`t appreciate it, can`t give Uryuu the reassurance he needs. Ichigo on the other hand showed strong emotional outbursts more than once when Uryuu was hurt but never in his presence or in any other`s presence.

But Haschwalth has seen Uryuu`s strong reaction, he listened to it. I think it would be nice if Haschwalth will not only receive help from Uryuu and Ichigo, he will help them as well.

Skullheart

Grant your wishes
Reaction score
Can i join this fc? I will answer the Questions later.

Reaction score
Welcome, Skullheart! :) I have added your name on the member list.

It has been such a long time - I will have to think of new questions to add to the list. Or if you have some ideas, please tell me.

What happened in the latest chapter could be the beginning of much more when it comes to the friendship of Uryuu and Ichigo. I hope so!

Reaction score
Unfortunately Bleach ended, at least for now. We knew that it was a matter of time but I was caught by surprise because it was very little time indeed.

At the end of Bleach we don't know what happened to the Quincies. We don't even know if there are any other Quincies left alive 10 years after Bach's defeat. What we saw at the end is a Seireitei that is rebuilt, Quincies aren't mentioned and also not seen - except Uryuu on the world of the living. Even the execution device Ichigo destroyed when he saved Rukia is rebuilt.

I am left with the impression that the Shinigami are more vigilant now and determined that they will never again be surprised by an overwhelming attack by anyone. I believe Uryuu ended up on the world of the living because there are no Quincies left to rule and he could have been exciled. He wasn't imprisoned or even executed. He helped to defeat Bach after all. More, without him Ichigo would not have succeeded.

But Uryuu is dangerous when it comes to the Shinigami. Even people who are a nuisance end up being imprisoned in the Maggot's Nest. Aizen is back in Muken, imprisoned. Uryuu was the "successor" of Bach, a powerful member of the Wandenreich - no matter that he entered in order to destroy it. And Uryuu has strong, mysterious powers. I assume he never told anybody about the Antithesis ability - for good reasons.

Throughout Bleach's history Uryuu ended up being hurt, struggling and failing to keep up with Ichigo in battle, being left behind when he was unable to fight any more. The exceptions were the beginning of their friendship when they fought back to back against the Hollows - and now, when so much depended on winning against Bach.

Bleach is about the conflict between Shinigami and Quincies. It is also about the relationship between Ichigo and Uryuu. And it is the right choice that it is first of all them who win against Bach.

As I keep saying, what won in the end is the power of the heart and of the soul. But on top of that it is Ichigo's primal drive to protect that pushed him, giving him the strength to win. Uryuu gave Ichigo an instant in which he could have struck but it was not quite enough. Uryuu braced himself to die at Bach's hands when Ichigo reached deep into his soul, pulled out its manifestation - his blade Zangetsu.

What won is the power of friendship. So much is missing, so much has been cut because Tite Kubo was obviously forced to hurry up, to sacrifice so much that should have been said, should have been revealed. But this climax is leaving me very satisfied when it comes to the main part of Bleach.

What I could also see is that Bach lost because he didn't trust anybody. And Aizen lost in the past for similar reasons. Bach could have talked to Haschwalth about the apparent dream, he could have learned the truth. But in his arrogance he dismissed what he saw as a dream instead of a vision that was a possible future.

10 years in the future we see that Ichigo is a happy family man and Uryuu a busy doctor.

This is a last look at Ichigo surrounded by family and friends:

(Chapter 686: Death and Strawberry)

bleach-8057989.jpg

We only see the back of Uryuu's head, sitting isolated from everybody else leaning against the back of the couch. Chad is forming a kind of connection to his friends but otherwise, he is separated from everybody else no matter that he is sitting in the same room.

I am sure Tite Kubo made this choice very deliberately. After the climax in which Ichigo and Uryuu worked so well together, I have to wonder what led to this development. 10 years is a long time. Ichigo has his family. Uryuu his career as a doctor. I can understand that life is one factor that drove them apart. If I am right and Uryuu is the last Quincy (or one of the last) being exiled, this would drive him back to isolation as well.

Nevertheless, even if Uryuu is more of an introvert now than he has been for a very long time, the last chapter also shows a man who is nevertheless at peace with himself, valuing his friends. I am sure, as he has always done since Ichigo made his choice, reaching out to Uryuu in friendship, Uryuu is watching over them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have just found this Gree card showing Uryuu and Ichigo together:

tumblr_onie2zYd541vdad3ro1_500.jpg

Looking at this picture, it reminds me of what didn't happen in the Fullbring arc. Uryuu and Ichigo fighting back to back, together, against Ginjou - I would have loved to see that!

Instead Uryuu was unable to fight properly and then he was dropped completely from the story. He wasn't even mentioned in the very brief aftermath. :(

Reaction score
CqZNcyBWAAAXeB2.jpg I found this hilarious and sweet pic of my favorite bros of fiction. Their bond is rly special and was done in way that I never seen before =)

Reaction score
Thank you, shodic, I love that picture! :D

It is a good joke. Hm, about the pairing question, let's move past that. Whatever choices Tite Kubo made, I am confident that Uryuu and Ichigo are still good friends. And good friends should give each other hugs sometimes. :)

Wonderland

Follow the white rabbit
Reaction score
The art was made by ANDRILLIAN on tumblr. Its one of my favorite ichiishi art because it shows them as adults and more relaxed. As teens, those two would always bicker, but I feel that as adults, these two would be much closer. Sure they may still bicker, but they hug, joke, and smile to each other.