• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

I can't believe people are calling Ichigo Kurosaki a nazi and Izzy Sparks a satanist.

Reaction score

I have something to rant about when it comes to people reaction to things when it some to symbols on certain characters that are associated with evil on a good guy. I have two examples of this statement for you. First example is that people are calling Ichigo Kurosaki a nazi for no reason. They call him a nazi just because he has a swastika on the hilt of his bankai and they don't have facts of him being a nazi or not. People should not assume that he is a nazi just because he has a swastika for a hilt on his bankai. The second example of this problem is that people are calling Izzy Sparks a satanist for no reason. People are just calling Izzy Sparks a satanist because he has an inverted pentagram on his fretboard in guitar hero 2. People should not assume that he is a satanist just because he has an inverted pentagram on his fretboard in guitar hero 2. I am going to say that people should not assume that people are evil just because they have signs of evil. People should look at the facts and decide if they were really evil or not. People are just ingorant to not know if people are really evil or not.

Reaction score
I recently read about a singer who accidentally wore a T-shirt with swastika symbol on it and she was attacked online. She didn't deliberately do that but because of lack of knowledge. The next day, she read some books and learned about the information behind it. In many cultures, people are not even aware of such symbols. I have encountered many people in my real life who happen to have those kinds of symbols on their clothes, but they don't even know what's the deal behind them.

Many are not taught these things in their course book. In my course book also, there was not a single chapter about Hitler, Nazis, or Holocaust. We only learned our local history and even that was incomplete and controversial. So many people are unaware of these symbols in different cultures.

Now coming to the matter of Bleach and Ichigo, it comes to the matter of personal interpretation of the audience. If the audience is too much sensitive about symbolism associated with the holocaust and genuinely feel offended by it, that's a different issue. But some people personally don't care with those symbolism, but they find an excuse in the symbolism to bash series and characters in general because it's very convenient that way instead of doing objective criticism. There are real books about history which explain things about the actual brutal events of holocaust, or real stories passed on to newer generations from previous generations, so one can make a point that should we ban these books or stories for explaining the atrocities about it or that those books support Nazism? My opinion is no on this one because otherwise, we would not be able to approach towards truth.

However, these kinds of symbolism in a fantasy literature like Bleach or other entertainment mediums can mean different things for different nature of people. Some people find that these symbols' place should only be in real historical evidence and not in entertainment mediums like Bleach. Those type of audience don't expect this so that their taste does not get unpleasant while consuming that medium. This is perhaps similar to how some people don't like violence (blood, gore, etc,) in entertainment mediums and there are ratings established for that so that audience should know before what they might expect.

Some audience like that kind of symbolism in entertainment medium so that they can draw parallels and discuss the impact of it in different ways. This opens up debate about different corollaries associated with it, so it gives new light to these topics. It's very difficult to declare what the author's intention is since one can't read anyone's heart and make a judgement purely on a whim. So, one can only make assumptions based on the things presented with their own ifs and buts. There is a German theme going on in the last arc and it depends on the audience taste that how they interpret and analyze certain characters, fights and events with reference to that theme.

These symbols have different meanings in different points in history and even now. Before Nazism, these symbols already existed and had other meanings. Then, there are people who say that these symbols are different than the original Nazi symbols, but for an average joe, it doesn't matter because they would interpret that way because of the world war history and the striking resemblance of that. It all comes down to actions of the characters that what their actions did to other characters or people rather than the symbolism they presented. In Bleach, you can never guess who an angel is just like in real world you can never guess what evil is brewing in someone's heart while wearing a pious dress attributed to peace, but their intention inside is pure evil.

Since Bleach is an entertainment medium, there is nothing in the literature that directly points that Ichigo supports Nazism, or that he is a neo-Nazi freak as far as my interpretation of the series is concerned. He might be a hot-headed crazy guy in lots of other ways, but certainly not in that way which you ascribed. There is a controversy about him regarding Ginjou and Tuskishami's death, but that is a different topic in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Bankai symbol is a Japanese symbol that had been taken and misused by the Germans. That means, it is the other way round: the Japanese use of the symbol is older than what the Third Reich used.

People who say that Ichigo is a Nazi or more in general, the Gotei 13, just show their ignorance. I am sure that Tite Kubo is not supporting Nazis in any way or form.

Having said that, I am not happy that Tite Kubo included the two pointed S signs/runes (Schutzstaffel) on the uniform of one of the Burn the Witch characters. I am no expert but I am reasonably sure that this IS an original Third Reich symbol.

I am not familiar with Izzy Sparks. I think any creator should be very careful about using symbols that are controversial or could be controversial. Doing it anyway is not "cool" and is certainly not clever.

Reaction score
The Bankai symbol is a Japanese symbol that had been taken and misused by the Germans. That means, it is the other way round: the Japanese use of the symbol is older than what the Third Reich used.

People who say that Ichigo is a Nazi or more in general, the Gotei 13, just show their ignorance. I am sure that Tite Kubo is not supporting Nazis in any way or form.

Having said that, I am not happy that Tite Kubo included the two pointed S signs/runes (Schutzstaffel) on the uniform of one of the Burn the Witch characters. I am no expert but I am reasonably sure that this IS an original Third Reich symbol.

I am not familiar with Izzy Sparks. I think any creator should be very careful about using symbols that are controversial or could be controversial. Doing it anyway is not "cool" and is certainly not clever.
The swastika is also a symbol used in India as well I believe.

Reaction score
That symbol has a long history. I looked into Google and there is a lot of information.