• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Nightwolf

Thank you Kubo!
Reaction score
Official trailer:
[video=youtube;G4VmJcZR0Yg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4VmJcZR0Yg[/video]

GitS Shelling Sequence:
[video=youtube;F5amv-vqUFo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5amv-vqUFo[/video]

More info:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219827/

What are your expectations? I m pretty hyped for the movie. I dont expect its going to be a masterpiece but I think it could be enjoyable to watch. I love Depeche Mode and original Kawaii's soundtrack :) It seems like a mix of original anime movie with parts from other GitS movies and series. I hope they put the battle scene between Motoko and Spider Tank. That would be epic. Also, I dont care about whitewashing and I think Scarlett Johansson is a good choice for Motoko Kusanagi ''The Major''. They have even a similar height and body proportions are ok :)

Last edited:

Belias

The Gigas
Reaction score
The trailer has me hopeful for this movie. Can't really tell from a trailer exactly how good a movie is, but this trailer was put together pretty well, so hopefully the movie will be as well. The CGI looks great, the sets look great, I think it will come down to if they can make a good story. I think it will end up being an average sci-fi movie, but I hope it exceeds that.

Reaction score
I want this to be good but I don't have much faith in the creative team.

That said, ScarJo is a big star, so it'll probably be moderately successful at the very least and hopefully open some doors to more anime/manga Hollywood adaptations.

And before you shake your head and scream "Hollywood ruins everything!!!" please keep in mind how terrible Superhero movies were before X-Men was a hit (although not that great of a movie). That's when studios started taking them seriously, hiring the right people to write and direct (actual fans) and put real money towards them. Now, they're fantastic (for the most part). Maybe this can have a similar effect.

Reaction score
So this movie is coming out this weekend. Not surprisingly, Jordan Peele is rumored to direct an upcoming live action Akira movie just as Ghost in the Shell comes out.

I hope it's successful and I hope Akira actually happens and Peele nails it like he (apparently) did with his directorial debut, Get Out. I want anime/manga to get the Marvel/DC treatment. Introduce these properties to new audiences and let older fans appreciate them in new ways. But we need one to actually be successful. I'm rooting for ScarJo. But it's Tomatometer is only 50% so that doesn't bode well.

Belias

The Gigas
Reaction score
Hopefully, I'll be able to see it this weekend. If not, next weekend for sure. Indeed, the reviews I've seen have been pretty split, but I'm on the hopeful side for a few reasons. First, none of the reviews I've seen have said it's bad at all. Most have it at about a 50-70% rating, which is good for most movies. Second, the negatives that most people have been saying aren't all that bad to me and actually reflect the reviews that some people have given other Scifi classics, such as Blade Runner. I've seen people say stuff like "it's a slow burn" and there there are lots of "parts where not much happens" or it's "boring". Being a fan of the anime and a fan of extremely slow burn Scifi movies, I think I'm really going to enjoy this. Can't wait.

Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of the Anime but I'm interested in seeing the Movie. I love action Movies and it seems like an interesting story. :p

Reaction score
So we saw the Movie the other day, and it's a good if not pretty good Movie in my opinion.

I've never been a big fan of the Manga/Anime so I don't know that much about it. I know what the characters look like and some other vague details about the series but that's mostly all I know about the Manga/Anime. The Movie seems mixed in terms of faithfulness from what I know. Not all of the tone and the looks of the characters look entirely accurate but some of them look accurate. The stories seem similar as well. Looking at it as a standalone Movie it's pretty good. The first half is above average if not good but it doesn't stand out as much as the second half of the Movie. The second half is more action packed with a clearer story direction and characterization.

I give this Movie a 6.6/10 (rounding to 7/10).

Franco

MAKE SQUAD 4 GREAT AGAIN
Reaction score
I already saw this and I liked it for what it was. If they're planning to make a franchise out of this, I'm so on board with it. Can't wait to see what this creative team comes up with next.

What the Live-Action Got Right:
- Good shot-by-shot remake of some of the anime films' iconic scenes.
- Seamlessly blends elements from the first film, the second film, and the anime series. It even switches the orders up a bit in the Hollywood version, but I thought it was great they considered all the original elements.
- Retains the spirit of the original, even if it looks and sounds a little different.
- Outstanding visuals and world-building. I love this version of the universe, and I loved how the creators went all-out to build it.
- Characters were really good, and I liked how easy it was to like them.
- Takeshi Kitano.

What the Live-Action Missed:
- Unnecessary first scene.
- Much of the philosophy of the original is watered down for a more action-oriented plot. If you're looking for a sci-fi film that will blow your mind, this isn't it.
- Scar Jo's robotic acting might throw some people off.
- I wish they didn't have to try so hard to explain many of the background elements.
- Could have used more Section 9 team dynamics.

All in all: it's a good enough remake that is able to stand on its own, in spite of the obvious influences. It's clear the creators loved and respected the original series, and all the little adjustments they made to make a new story worked well. Get rid of the whitewashing idea too. If you take the time to see the film without that judgment, then you'll see how they were able to explain casting Scar Jo as the Major. What they did in this film, it's more than just whitewashing. There's a real point to it, and it's an actual part of the story. I hope this marks the start of well-thought Hollywood remakes of anime series.

Solid 7/10 for me.

wanda lensherr

Scarlet witch
Reaction score
Yeah the trailer made it look epic but now that i have seen the anime version and watching this er real life action version ...i can say it was a missed. Sorry to scarlet but its just not what we should have had. I wish they (studio) would pay attention to the mangaka. The visual was great dont get me wrong on the colors etc but story wise...nope