• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

Gay Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
- he starts a history lesson calling hara dear boy

Yusuf, not Hara. Unless they are the same person. Now can you refute the post or you just doing a drive by?

I mean I don't like that children are subtly pushed towards being gays and lesbians when they are vulnerable and could give in to ideas that are implemented into their young minds.

As a man, I can't say that under any condition, you could convince me to be attracted to another man. Its not a fear thing, I had a gay roommate for years and dude watched more pr0n in the living room than I though could have actually been made and not once did I even get a little wiggle down there. Boys used to wear dresses when they were young back at the turn of the century, not sure if there are any studies on it, but I don't believe there was any dramatic rise in gayness. I can't speak for women, but for guys there is no question in my mind (however arbitrary and anecdotal that may be) that it is innate and not taught. Although there may be a small segment that have switched teams and been naturally straight at birth, I think that is something that takes considerable effort.

I do agree that the propaganda has gotten out of control and is helping no one.

Orochimaru

Aizen level
Reaction score
I'm not really sure. I used to believe people would become through their experience, but after talking about it with a friend of mine and reading some articles about some studies, I'm more inclined to believe a person is "born" into his/her sexuality. Sexuality probably is biological, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm not finding all the articles that I read about it, but I found two saved here on my computer.

Well I've always been under the opinion that you are born into your sexuality. I do think that you shouldn't subtly steer children one way or the other. However, as I said, I don't think it truly matters because I think it's something you're born with, without experience. I could be wrong though because I have not had the experience of changing sexuality myself. I don't claim to be an expert at this sort of thing. Just posting my personal thoughts I guess.

I do think there are more cases people are born gay than they turn gay under socialization though I don't think it could really be proven any reliable way. But maybe someone here know more about this.

Yusuf, not Hara. Unless they are the same person. Now can you refute the post or you just doing a drive by?

As a man, I can't say that under any condition, you could convince me to be attracted to another man. Its not a fear thing, I had a gay roommate for years and dude watched more pr0n in the living room than I though could have actually been made and not once did I even get a little wiggle down there. Boys used to wear dresses when they were young back at the turn of the century, not sure if there are any studies on it, but I don't believe there was any dramatic rise in gayness. I can't speak for women, but for guys there is no question in my mind (however arbitrary and anecdotal that may be) that it is innate and not taught. Although there may be a small segment that have switched teams and been naturally straight at birth, I think that is something that takes considerable effort.

I do agree that the propaganda has gotten out of control and is helping no one.

Yeah, Yusuf used to be harahara, there is an option to change your user name once.

Your post made me giggle a little, don't get me wrong, you seem like a smart person, sometimes your post are really good but in a debate section it's not a good way to reply to someone from a higher ground like "dear boy" or "hey kid", sometimes people do that but that's just inappropriate when replying to someone you don't agree with and don't know and who could be older and smarter, well why am I saying the obvious, you know that yourself, it's just Yusuf attacked western civilization and you got a little bit disrespectful by addressing him personally with "dear boy", and when he said it's not a way to talk to himand you basically said to enjoy the ride the way it is.

As for the topic at this point I think that's impossible for me to become gay and I've never experienced doubt in my sexuality in my whole life. But if there was a time when it could've happened assuming you're not born gay then that would be in an early childhood, with right psychological methods I could be made to question my sexuality.

Reaction score
Orochimaru said:
you know that yourself, it's just Yusuf attacked western civilization and you got a little bit disrespectful by addressing him personally with "dear boy", and when he said it's not a way to talk to himand you basically said to enjoy the ride the way it is.

I never said otherwise. I specifically told him that if he posts inflammatory comments, he should expect inflammatory responses. His comment has no foundation in reality or history and was solely meant as an insult to all that I hold dear. Lex talionis and all that.

Reaction score
As a homosexual man, I am on the belief that your sexuality is something your probably born with. For the longest time, I have struggled with my sexuality. I've tried denying it for a very long time. The town I grew up in is very divided when it comes to homosexuality. And religion was part of my fear of coming out to my mother. My mother was Roman Catholic and she would sometimes tell me that being gay isn't right. But in the last 6 years, my mother's viewpoints have changed when she converted from Roman Catholic to Pagan Wiccan. This religion isn't mainstream and the religion is actually accepting to homosexuals and other minorities most mainstream religions don't talorate. I remember when I just started high school, which is when I came out to her, she told me that try being with a girl first. And if you still feel the way you do, than she'll accept me. Later I eventually got my first and possibly only girlfriend I'll ever have. I liked her alot and we did pretty well, even went to prom. But I still felt like I didn't like her because she was a girl, I liked her for her personality. She eventually broke up with me because she already knew I wasn't straight to begin with. We are still friends and now I feel more comfortable with my sexuality. This is just my personal opinion on sexuality being something your born with or not. If I ever had kids, I'm not gonna force them to be hetero or homo, I'll just let them choose because I honestly don't care.

Last edited:
Reaction score
NicolasHumbleOpinion said:
when she converted from Roman Catholic to Pagan Wiccan

Not to go even further off topic than I normally do but WOW. That isn't a conversion, that is a whole other thing. Wow. I'm gonna say it backwards; wow.

This is just my personal opinion on sexuality being something your born with or not.

Your opinion is rooted in more evidence than most, so have at it. Its very valid. Like I said in my prior posts, I think it is biological. Straight men are genetically breed to find certain features in women attractive. Same with straight women. I think at a genetic level something is simply wired different with gay people in that area. I speak solely about the sexual arousal component and I don't mean anything negative by it. Arousal is controlled by the autonomic nervous system and other unconsciously used systems, meaning you have very little say so in it.

Reaction score
Seraphina said:
Could you define "brief"? How brief, exactly? Where, and when? How long did these periods last? You're the one making the claim, so please feel free to elucudate us all.

Irrelevant to the argument. History demonstrates that before Constantine's conversion or any monotheistic movement you'd like to pick, gay union acceptance has been interspersed throughout time.

In both cases, religion demonstrably had a retarding effect upon societal progress (and, indeed, forced society to move backwards). I'm not too sure how this supports your position; if anything, it appears to support mine.

As I have previously stated, refrain from erroneous selective reasoning. Yes, there have been incidents tied to religious ideology that stopped progress, and there have been incidents not tied and against religious ideology who also stopped progress. If there is evidence to be derived from that is that societal progress or scientific progress is independent from sexual matters. And no, Islamic Golden Age and the Renaissance have had immense contributions to the Enlightenment Era - that's just a historical fact. Whether Enlightenment is pro or anti religion is beside the point that it's an era significantly built upon pro religious era

No civilisation in history has ever been perfect, including any that exist today.

Stop jumping around. Historical evidence demonstrates that the acceptance of gay unions has no correlation to societal progress. Stop baiting the idea that it's due to today's societal progress that resulted in the acceptance of gay unions. That's faulty and erroneous.

I'm not sure any of my arguements have "fallen down", easily or otherwise.

Constant misrepresentation of the arguments laid, selective reasoning in all angles, etc. Yes, all your arguments have been soundly shot down.

The connection between Islam and terrorism is perhaps debatable. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have as many people willing to murder journalists over political cartoons if it wasn't for Islam.

Red Herring. You implied that it's due to the rise of Muslim population that terrorism has arisen. Unless you'd like to bring in some evidence, there is no correlation between the rising population of Muslims and the rise of terrorism.

Wait....weren't you talking about western countries a minute ago? Would you like me to draw you an Atlas? Maybe loan you a compas?

Sera, Western Civilization isn't defined by the world map. It is defined by Western ideals. Korea, Japan, Poland are currently run upon Western ideals. There are part of the Western Civilization. -- Loan me a compass? How about throwing away your vanity and loaning some humility when you're making this many errors?

I'm not misrepenting your argument. I'm pointing out that your argument is stupid;

You haven't. The argument was about history's take on the acceptance of gay unions and the sexual climate in where gay unions are being accepted in the 21st Century. "stupid" she says :lmao

@McNubins

I haven't even addressed you nor insulted anyone in this thread. If you do think my argument about Western's responsibility over the world politically and economically as something that hurt your feelings, then I do apologize. That was never my intention.

Unicorn

Mythical Creature
Reaction score
I didn't even know that South East Asia was run as part of a western civilisation. ... ... Comedy gold.

Anyway. Thread is going off topic.

Personally, i am glad that an increasing number of countries are formally recognising same-gender marriages. Society should not discriminate against biological-child-free marriages.

Seraphina

"In other news..."
Reaction score
Irrelevant to the argument.

What!?

You're invoking "brief moments in history" where homosexuality was accepted as evidence for your argument, and when I ask you to define the moments in history you're referring to (i.e. how brief they were, when and where, etc) you say it's "irrelevant to the argument"?

So basically, you want to be allowed to make whatever claim you please, and when asking to elaborate on it, you want to say: "Nah, I don't have to. That's irrelevant!"

Well....okay. Fair enough. You can do that if you want. Just don't expect me to waste too much time addressing such arguments when that fact alone entitles me to dismiss them out of hand :)

As I have previously stated, refrain from erroneous selective reasoning.

I'm not being selective at all (although you most certainly are, as I'll later demonstrate).

Yes, there have been incidents tied to religious ideology that stopped progress, and there have been incidents not tied and against religious ideology who also stopped progress.

While I'd certainly agree that this is the case, I would argue that religion has a near perfect track record of retarding societal progress. I cannot actually think of a single instance where adherence to religious dogma has ever improved the human condition in any way, and every single advancement ever made appears to have been the result of secular action, unattached to religious teachings (which isn't surprising, because I can't think of a single religion that doesn't contain teachings that conflict with reality).

One possible exception might have been the spread of literacy in some parts of the world being due, in large part, to the requirement to be able to read religious texts. Although I suppose you have to counterbalance that with the fact that, during the dark ages, religious rule dictated that education was the sole purview of the clergy and the rich; thus creating centuries of church enforced ignorance and societal standstill (to say nothing of their approach to science and discovery).

If there is evidence to be derived from that is that societal progress or scientific progress is independent from sexual matters.

On the contrary, I would argue that repression of homosexuals has always coincided with a regressive stage in civilization. Again, any change that makes society less fair and equal is, by definition, regressive. But I suppose, given you're unable to tell us what periods in history you're talking about, how brief they were and so on, the argument is a little moot.

I don't care enough to address an argument that you don't care enough about to properly define what your claim is :)

And no, Islamic Golden Age and the Renaissance have had immense contributions to the Enlightenment Era

And they were both secular movements, not religious ones.

The Islamic Golden Age began due to an effort to translate the knowledge of comparatively advanced civilizations like Greece, China, Egypt etc This was a secular movement, where reason and discovery were placed before religious dogma (funny how no holy book ever written contains any of this advanced knowledge, isn't it? It's almost as though men know things that gods don't). The exact opposite of which was seen at the end of this period, where Islam began - almost immediately - to become sectarian and has remained so ever since, with religious doctrine become more important than the secular knowledge that made the golden age successful and a return to the notion of "revelation" rather than philosophy and science being the best source of understanding.

Which, of course, worked out swimmingly for them.

The Renaissance, similarly, was a secular movement at its heart; brought about by the rise of humanist methods of thought and study, rather than the traditional church doctrines that had been enforced during the medieval era.

In both cases, these exceptional periods of human progress were brought about through means that were wholly secular, and through knowledge that was not found in any religion. And, also in both cases (one before and one after), a period of strict adherence to religious doctrine resulted in a severe loss of knowledge and a sharp backward slide in societal progress.

Whether Enlightenment is pro or anti religion is beside the point

How on earth could that possibly be besides the point?

The Enlightenment was simply a continued shift in the direction European society was already moving; a rediscovery of the knowledge of the Greeks and a shift away from religious doctrine that, essentially, gave birth to the modern age. Whether or not it was a shift away from religious doctrine seems to be exactly the point, and your attempt to sidestep that as being somehow irrelevant is very telling.

Historical evidence demonstrates that the acceptance of gay unions has no correlation to societal progress.

Given you won't tell us what periods you're talking about, how long they lasted, or what brought them to an end, I suppose I can't really comment on that except to say: "Prove it".

Constant misrepresentation of the arguments laid, selective reasoning in all angles, etc. Yes, all your arguments have been soundly shot down.

Really? All of them? Would you like to go back to the 88 pages we've been talking where your every positions has been demonstrated to be utterly without foundation (often repeatedly since you keep making the same arguments that have already been demonstrated to be flawed, all the while dishonestly claiming that no such demonstration has been made)?

You implied that it's due to the rise of Muslim population that terrorism has arisen.

Um....no I didn't. Terrorism has been going on for quite a while, and often quite independent of Islam. What I did imply was that Islam currently does seem to play a rather major role in global terrorism.

How about throwing away your vanity and loaning some humility when you're making this many errors?

How about you stop cherry picking? :) Remember that accusation of being selective that I said I'd come back to? Well, hang onto your butts, kids.

This is the democracy index 2015: http://www.yabiladi.com/img/content/EIU-Democracy-Index-2015.pdf. It scores countries based on a variety of factors related to societal health; Pluralism, Civil liberties and Political culture. Let's take a look at the top scoring countries...

1.Norway (score: 9.93)
2. Iceland (score: 9.58)
3. Sweden (score: 9.45)
4. New Zealand (score: 9.26)
5. Denmark (score: 9.11)
6. Switzerland (score: 9.09)
7. Canada (score: 9.08)
8. Finland (score: 9.03)
9. Australia (score: 9.01)
10. Netherlands (score: 8.92)

As of 2015, these are the countries that are most successful at being democratic. They are more free, fair and equal than any of the other countries measured. (As a point of interest, the United States occupies spot 20, with a score of 8.05).

Now, would you care to hazard a guess as to where Muslim countries fall on the list? If it makes life easier, it's probably better to start near the bottom and work your way up.

You see Hara, it's possible to cherry pick examples (like Japan's shockingly poor mental health care) and hold it up as a blight on Western civilization. But is that honest? The answer is no; you may notice that my original statement was that such countries "consistently" score higher than do Islamic countries; I did not say "always".

What we look for in order to determine these things, Hara, are not individual anomalies. We instead look for trends. The very fact that you would rush to cherry picked examples as your very first attempt to refute what I'd said demonstrates both your dishonesty, and your lack of understanding.

The argument was about history's take on the acceptance of gay unions

The argument appears to be over. You've actively refused to properly define the time periods you're talking about or to expand upon your assertions in that regard. Until you do, there's nothing to discuss.

"stupid" she says

Yes, she did.

Was there some problem?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Seraphina said:
I cannot actually think of a single instance where adherence to religious dogma has ever improved the human condition in any way, and every single advancement ever made appears to have been the result of secular action, unattached to religious teachings (which isn't surprising, because I can't think of a single religion that doesn't contain teachings that conflict with reality).

That is because of two reasons. First, you don't want to think of any instances, because of your predilection toward not liking them. Second, you are talking about two separate things, advancement and improving the human condition. They are distinctly different. Religions are not about inventing better mouse traps. That isn't their business. What they have done throughout history has provided stability to communities and gave them something that bound them outside of familial bonds. By bonding together unrelated families, or tribes, under a single authority it prevented conflict that would have completely retarded the growth of civilizations. Religions provided the foundation for civilizations to exist.

Seraphina said:
One possible exception might have been the spread of literacy in some parts of the world being due, in large part, to the requirement to be able to read religious texts. Although I suppose you have to counterbalance that with the fact that, during the dark ages, religious rule dictated that education was the sole purview of the clergy and the rich; thus creating centuries of church enforced ignorance and societal standstill (to say nothing of their approach to science and discovery).

This is patently false. The Middle Ages (nobody uses the term dark age anymore) were not the fault of religion. The decline in civilization in Europe was caused by the fall of the Roman Empire. Nothing more. If you took all organized governmental structure away from part of the world and killed all the smart people the result would be the same. The Church rose from those ashes and actually helped stabilize the region and helped Europe recover from the worlds largest and most wide reaching economic and governmental collapse in history. It did some horrible shit to be true, but that was the fault of the people in charge and not the religion itself.

Seraphina said:
On the contrary, I would argue that repression of homosexuals has always coincided with a regressive stage in civilization. Again, any change that makes society less fair and equal is, by definition, regressive. But I suppose, given you're unable to tell us what periods in history you're talking about, how brief they were and so on, the argument is a little moot.

No. Regression is backwards movement. At worst what this discussion is about is stagnation as there was no right to be in a same sex marriage in the first place. Also many would argue that there is no in-equality to not allowing homosexual's to marry each other. Straight men do not have the right to marry straight men either. I don't agree with the argument on the grounds that it is semantics but I understand it. I operate off the principle that if one can not argue both sides of the argument, then they are to ignorant to be in the argument in the first place.

Seraphina said:
And they were both secular movements, not religious ones.

That is both wrong and right. There is a nuance that neither you are Yusuf are acknowledging. Both movements were religious and secular. In fact one could argue that one begat the other in each and without the religious element there wouldn't have been a secular element.

Seraphina said:
(funny how no holy book ever written contains any of this advanced knowledge, isn't it? It's almost as though men know things that gods don't)

Again, that isn't the purpose of religion.

Yusuf said:
the acceptance of gay unions has no correlation to societal progress.

I would argue that it is, if one is talking about a free society. In a free society, a truly free society, one can not put arbitrary limits on things like marriage so long as it is between consenting adults.

Yusuf said:
Sera, Western Civilization isn't defined by the world map. It is defined by Western ideals. Korea, Japan, Poland are currently run upon Western ideals. There are part of the Western Civilization.

If we boil it down to the ideology, then there are very few of the 190 or so countries on the planet that aren't part of Western Civilization. At least the KFC in downtown Riyadh, the one with all the sports cars parked outside of it, I ate at would indicate that. I don't think there is any distinction between the west an east anymore. WalMart is in Europe and Asia. I can buy Shawarma in New Orleans. One of the worlds richest men is Chinese and his business is in China. One of the worlds richest women is Vietnamese. All of these things are because of the western influence. If that is all that it boils down to.

Yusuf said:
@McNubins

I haven't even addressed you nor insulted anyone in this thread. If you do think my argument about Western's responsibility over the world politically and economically as something that hurt your feelings, then I do apologize. That was never my intention.

I don't believe my feelings were hurt, its just insulting. If that makes any sense.

Last edited:

Seraphina

"In other news..."
Reaction score
That is because of two reasons. First, you don't want to think of any instances, because of your predilection toward not liking them

My dislike of religion is a result of the fact that it appears to be ultimately detrimental to society, not the other way round. I'm perfectly open to changing my position though, and If you can present with one or more tangible benefits provided by religion that are not achievable by secular means, then perhaps I'll change my opinion.

What they have done throughout history has provided stability to communities and gave them something that bound them outside of familial bonds. By bonding together unrelated families, or tribes, under a single authority it prevented conflict that would have completely retarded the growth of civilizations. Religions provided the foundation for civilizations to exist

If you're suggesting that religion discourages conflict, then I'm not quite certain that's a claim supported by the facts. Indeed, the three largest religions in the world have been in a state of near constant war with each other over ideological differences almost since their inception. And indeed these same religions shard into sectarian groups that then conflict with each other within their own religion, often violently.

The suggestion that religion is some kind of bonding or unifying force when it appears to be at the heart of many of the world's major conflicts without history, and indeed continues to be today, seems rather absurd. People have been murdering each other on behalf of religion seemingly for as long as history remembers.

(nobody uses the term dark age anymore)

Well....I just did :)

This is patently false. The Middle Ages (nobody uses the term dark age anymore) were not the fault of religion.

You appear to be straw manning my position by implying I have stated religion was only cause of the dark ages or the only precipitating factor for just how bloody terrible they were. That is not, in fact, what I said and I challenge you to highlight where you think I said it.

What I have said, however, is that strict adherence to religious dogma has, in all cases, had a retarding effect - if not causing backwards movement - both upon social and scientific progress. Which is exactly what it caused in the dark ages.

It did some horrible shit to be true, but that was the fault of the people in charge and not the religion itself.

So you're suggesting that people acting upon a strict interpretation of religious doctrine, and doing some "horrible shit" informed by that doctrine, isn't the fault of the religion?

So if the religion says "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live", and people go out and kill a bunch of people they think are witches...the religion has nothing to do with that? If the religion says that homosexuals should be put to death, and people go out and kill homosexuals, the religion has nothing to do with that?

If the bible says that you should kill unbelievers, and those that "entice thee secretly" into other belief systems....and lo and behold, people go out and kill a lot of unbelievers, you're suggesting that the religion has nothing to do with it?

Sorry, but if the religion commands horrible things, and then people go out and do those horrible things, how on earth can you argue that the religion isn't a problem?

No. Regression is backwards movement.

Yes, yes it is. And I would argue that removing equal recognition of a minority group is backwards movement.

Also many would argue that there is no in-equality to not allowing homosexual's to marry each other.

Yes, I know. I've spent 88 pages arguing against such people. And thus far, their arguments have been shown to be without merit and to crumble under scrutiny.

I operate off the principle that if one can not argue both sides of the argument, then they are to ignorant to be in the argument in the first place.

You appear to be laboring under the impression that I, or for that matter anyone else involved in this discussion, hasn't already considered both sides of the argument.

Both movements were religious and secular. In fact one could argue that one begat the other in each and without the religious element there wouldn't have been a secular element.

You can argue anything you like. I suppose you'd have to produce some demonstration of that, though.

Again, that isn't the purpose of religion.

Cool.

Have you told that to the fundamentalists?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.