• A special Bleach chapter, for its 20th anniversary has been released in Weekly Shonen Jump Issue 36/37. You can read it on VIZ or MangaPlus.

Crack Theories & Ideas. [V.3]

Reaction score
I think killing of hell hollows didn't complete Ukitake's ritual in the sense that it sent Ukitake to hell at that exact specific moment. His essence was perhaps already lingering. Any captain that is level 3 or above in spiritual authority by design goes into Hell after a considerable amount of time (say 12 years*) regardless of festival happening or not. I think time and number factor is more important than the ritual.

It's just that the soul society by design rejects these multiple deceased dense reishis to balance itself and since Hell has a spiritual authority in intervening in realms, therefore, it takes the spiritual authority over taking the reishi which is not broken down to the earth of soul society by itself. It's like if a plus is not applied konso, they would linger and eventually turn into hollow, but Hell would make use of its own spiritual authority and intervene based on Hollows previous sins to take them straight in. Similarly, if a captain class of spirit authority 3 or above is not subjected to the soul burial after their deaths, their presence would linger and eventually at some point, Hell automatically would intervene to give them legitimacy regardless of the festival. It just happened that Hell decided to do that publicly because previously, its maw was unnaturally shut by Yhwach and Aizen's reaitsus...So, even if soul burial festival had not taken place, and twelve years would have passed, Hell would make use of its spiritual authority to intervene and would claim the souls (for salvation as described by Szayel).

*I think the number 12 doesn't count the year the festival is to be celebrated. It was said that it's 12 years after the death time, so that would mean the festival year would be the 13th year. If that's true, then the number 13 in Gotei 13 would have a deep meaning behind it. There was an instance when Yhwach said that Gotei 13 would eventually become Gotei 0*** after Yamamoto's death. It caused confusion that why the zero since other captains were also present and it's not like every single captain died and we were left with a literal 0. I know Tite Kubo has some sort of obsession with the whole numbers as he turned Yammy to Espada 0 and tried to declare him the most powerful. So, in the case of Gotei 13, the number 13 appears to have a role.

So, even if the years are twelve in total including the festival year, and what Yhwach said about Gotei**, this still turns into 13 by whole numbers logic.

If that's true, then:
Espada are 10
Sternritter are 26
Gotei 13 are 13.

If captains of level 3 or above spirit authority are claimed by Hell (which are already in Gotei 13 of course), then the same might be true for Espada or Sternritters perhaps. The only exception might be the time duration. For example, it takes 12 years after the death of a captain within Gotei 13 to be claimed by Hell. By that logic, it might take less years in case of Espada. So,

For Espada (if), it would be 9 years after the death...
For Sternritters (if), it would be 25 years after the death...
For Gotei 13, it is 12 years after the death...

**The number 13 in Gotei 13 also becomes interesting w.r.t. what Yhwach said about Gotei 13. He said, "Gotei 13 died with us 1000 years ago". It kind of implies that Gotei 13 might be already be spiritually dead, and the number slots (from 1 to 13) are just dense reishi-fill-in-the-blanks spots that were only made to balance Soul Society so that even if the captains are dead, the dense reishis are not accepted by Soul Society's matter because the numbers were just fill-in-spots within Gotei 13. In other words, the slots hold reishi placeholders just for balancing purpose. When they are alive (the slots are active), it does not create a burden on environment, but when the captains are dead (the slots are inactive), it creates an imbalance. Now, those who would pass the captain test and would claim the slots, the cycle would continue. That's why these slots (numbering from 1 to 13) are placeholders for dense reishis.

***About Gotei 0, it was a translation done by mangapanda and Yhwach was implying 0 division. So, if the slot 0 in Gotei 13 is in fact Zero Division, and what was described that the combined power of Zero Division equals to that of Gotei 13, that power is restricted to serve only the Soul King and its palace via Ouken unlike Gotei 13 number slots which are not restricted by Ouken. The equivalent of Ouken would be 100,000 souls and a Juireichi of half a spirit-mile, but that would be indirect. This means another job of Ouken is to accept the dense reishi of Royal Guards back to the environment of the realm because it's embedded in their bones. So, if a captain with a spirit authority 3 or higher would die and if they had an Ouken within them, their dense reishi would be accepted by the environment. For example, if a captain decided to create Ouken via 100,000 souls and a Juireichi of half a spirit-mile, then embeds the Ouken within himself and he dies, his reishi might be accepted by the environment of the royal realm.

This brings me to another point of Yhwach when he said that Royal Palace was a rotten graveyard. If it's taken literally, that would mean the Royal Palace at one time was an actual graveyard when there would not be any Ouken to exist. In other words, there would not be a process where the souls' life of higher spirit authority is linked to the environment of the realm. Perhaps, that's one of the reasons he tried to redecorate the palace.
So, the slot 0 would be the only slot of level 3 or above spirit authority royal members that would be accepted by the environment because of Ouken.

Last edited:

Polgarena

Contributor
Reaction score
So, even if soul burial festival had not taken place, and twelve years would have passed, Hell would make use of its spiritual authority to intervene and would claim the souls

If I understood this correctly, within the Bleach universe and its relams, Hell has the built-in authority to claim the class 3 or higher soul that hasn't dissolved into reishi and got absorbed by Soul Society's soil? Kind of like how you can schedule a message to be sent at a specific time, or how you can schedule or program certain activities to take place at a specific time.

Then, the ritual that includes Hollows to be slain in front of the grave would just be a custom from the old times, not too much unlike the Hollow pits in Seireitei.

Reaction score
This may not be a crackpot theory but it's an idea I have.

I think that Shunsui may try to save Jushiro from Hell and he knows that he can't, but will try anyway. That action in turn might put him on the borderline of becoming a villain because the other captains and lieutenants will be totally against it. This may also lead to Shunsui finally losing control of his emotions, activating his Bankai, and not caring who's in range. Everybody will play the game so to speak.

I do believe that Jushiro dying may have pushed him over the edge but we haven't seen it yet. He's been compounding his grief, anger, and sadness for more than a century plus. Shunsui's never really gotten over the death of his brother and Nanao's mother. Now we add his best friend's death to the mix.

We've all seen characters who are one of the good guys (in anime and non-anime) lose themselves because they've never dealt with the major tragedies that happened in their lives, and they end up tragically dying.

So yes, I do think that this coming Hell Arc will be Kyoraku's swan song. Sad as it may be.

Reaction score
I think your idea is definitely not "crack" in any way, Arayia. Something like this also crossed my mind.

The Soul Society made some progress after Ichigo brought fresh air into that stagnant society but it still has the basic problem of sticking to the idea that the world is as it is and just thinking about it that it could be different is wrong. Worse, the basic rules cannot be changed and whoever tries is being punished for it.

I already had strong misgivings about this basic idea that some people are too powerful when it was mentioned that Ichigo might be banned from being able to come back to the world of the living. Nobody even tried to find a solution for this - and I am sure if people would actually look, they would find it. They give strong members of the Gotei 13 inhibitors when they go to Earth in order to protect humans. And they couldn't give Ichigo a version of it to make his return safe? Oh, please!

Now I know that Ichigo was supposed to be a spare Soul King. And he still is (not that Ichigo has any idea). THIS is probably the reason why nobody was allowed to tamper with his powers.

I think Shunsui might very well find out that there was no reason to send powerful captains to hell, that there was a solution (ask Mayuri, the most likely candidate) - and he will try to save his friend. It could very well end in a tragedy but I would prefer it if Shunsui is successful and will be reunited with Ukitake in the Soul Society. Death is a very fluid thing in the Soul Society. There are many forms of it and unless you are a soul born in it, everybody is dead.

Reaction score
I think your idea is definitely not "crack" in any way, Arayia. Something like this also crossed my mind.

The Soul Society made some progress after Ichigo brought fresh air into that stagnant society but it still has the basic problem of sticking to the idea that the world is as it is and just thinking about it that it could be different is wrong. Worse, the basic rules cannot be changed and whoever tries is being punished for it.

I already had strong misgivings about this basic idea that some people are too powerful when it was mentioned that Ichigo might be banned from being able to come back to the world of the living. Nobody even tried to find a solution for this - and I am sure if people would actually look, they would find it. They give strong members of the Gotei 13 inhibitors when they go to Earth in order to protect humans. And they couldn't give Ichigo a version of it to make his return safe? Oh, please!

Now I know that Ichigo was supposed to be a spare Soul King. And he still is (not that Ichigo has any idea). THIS is probably the reason why nobody was allowed to tamper with his powers.

I think Shunsui might very well find out that there was no reason to send powerful captains to hell, that there was a solution (ask Mayuri, the most likely candidate) - and he will try to save his friend. It could very well end in a tragedy but I would prefer it if Shunsui is successful and will be reunited with Ukitake in the Soul Society. Death is a very fluid thing in the Soul Society. There are many forms of it and unless you are a soul born in it, everybody is dead.
Great minds think alike :)

I'm hoping that after the gang closes the gate of Hell and straightens everything out, even more things will change around the Soul Society. I do think that Shunsui has protected people off screen from being punished for trying to change the rules and even wanting to find new solutions to old problems. I believe the reason that the 7th Division has animals is because of Kyoraku overriding Central 46. I've even think that's also why Atau is the 7th Division's Lieutenant; you know Central 46 complained about him, and Shunsui had to remind them of Tosen and the fact that he was blind but was highly talented.

That's another idea I have for this arc; Ichigo finding out that he was supposed to be a spare soul King and again Shunsui spills the beans. He even calls Kurosaki a 'human chimera' and that he hadn't seen anybody like him until he showed up in the Soul Society.

For once I think Mayuri shouldn't have the answer to this. I say this because ever since the TYBW arc, it's been shown that he doesn't have the answers to everything. Should Keisuke (who hasn't even been seen yet) have an answer? Maybe.

If Shunsui did manage to save Jushiro, I'd like it to be not in the traditional sense. Instead of regaining a physical body, the fomrer 13th Captain's soul or spirit merges with Shunsui, and since Shunsui has already created a spirit for Nanao's Zanpakuto, what would stop him from taking in the twin spirits of his friend? I believe he'd gladly do it.

Reaction score
I am aware of it that Shunsui is in a very difficult position. He has to constantly weigh the risks, thinking of what fights he can win and what fights he would definitely lose. Worse, starting certain conflicts with the rulers high up (literally) and the priviledged nobility (with a few positive exceptions) would set events in motion that could backfire badly.

Shunsui is definitely more approachable than Yamamoto was and more of a man of the people. But there is no doubt about it that he is powerful and also willing to make decisions for the "greater good" that are at best controversial and at worst decisions I passionately disagree with. The coming anime has the opportunity to explore this side of him and the Soul Society much more than in the manga that needed to be cut because of Tite Kubo's health issues.

If Ichigo ever finds out that he is a spare Soul King - it would cause a serious domino effect. If that happens, the Soul Society would learn about the identity of the current Soul King and about a lot of what I call "truths, half-truths, lies and a lot missing". I could start a rant about the Quincies and Shinigami conflict but I will leave that for some other time. I am afraid the matter about the Soul King and plans with Ichigo could lead to a civil war.

Kisuke appeared in the latest books which are part of the overall story. But, yes, this is definitely something that needs to be included in the anime. The whole aftermath is missing, not counting the very brief patchy views of 10 years later (I hope I remember that correctly).

Ukitake coming back in spirit form - there are some interesting possibilities. He could be an advanced Zanpakutou spirit who can leave at least for some time in spiritual/corporal form as we have seen with Yachiru and on a few occasions with Zangetsu.

Reaction score
True and least we not forget that Shunsui himself is a high ranking noble so he could put himself and his family in a very difficult position or at risk for backlash if he crossed certain lines or lost a battle with the higher ups. Which also brings me to this question: Is he the head of his house? Since his brother died, wouldn't that automatically make him the heir? What's you're theory about that?

Oh that's an understatement. When he told the captains about letting Aizen out of Muken so he can help them to fight, all of them, especially Shinji and the other Visoreds had every right to say hell no find another way. But when Shunsui explained that the Soul Society needed all hands on deck no matter what, they all shut up. Even I was like no, and find another way to get more recruits but the man's explanation made sense. In the anime I would like to see Shinji, Rose, Kensei, and Lisa confront him more on the topic, especially Lisa since she was his former lieutenant. I would honestly like to see her vent.

Also when he decided to let Unohana fight against Zaraki. I honestly thought it would be him and the 11th Captain going at it since he did say that he was going to teach the man the way of the sword.

Yeah, the civil war that would ensure would probably be like Captain America Civil War on some serious steroids combined with spiritual powers. Not to mention it would be very bloody.

Hm, Jushiro in spirit form just like Yachiru was. That would be interesting to see. Would he stick around Shunsui most of the time or divided his time between his best friend and Rukia?

Reaction score
If Shunsui is the head of the noble family now depends. His position as captain commander probably means that he is indeed also the head of the family but it could also be a separate matter. He is a blood relative, not adopted like Rukia, which would be the main factor. He is also male. Maybe some noble families would either prefer a male or only count them as heirs. Other families might favour a female heir. Perhaps, under certain circumstances, also an adopted member of the family could become the heir - especially if there is no blood relative left. Anyway, for now I assume that Shunsui is indeed also the leader of the noble family he was born into.

Letting Aizen out of Muken even with all the security measures in place - I was really torn as well. Yes, it would have been a good idea to explore this part much more and hear more from the Vizoreds. In that case I had to agree with Shunsui at the end. There were a few Quincies who were much too powerful even for the average Shinigami captain. There was no other choice - and defeating the Quincies was very much also in the interest of Aizen.

No, I never saw it coming that Shunsui himself would battle Zaraki. If I remember this right, Shunsui said at some point that his power is not suited for training people. Having seen Shunsui's Bankai, I have to agree with that. Unohana was the only choice here to open up Kenpachi's potential. That battle, that story - it nearly moved me to tears. It was so very well put together. I was sad that Unohana died but to use the Klingon saying - she died well. Unohana died like a warrior and there was no regret here.

From the storytelling point I realized that all the ancient Shinigami who were around during the beginnings of the Shinigami/Quincy conflict had to die. There couldn't be anybody left who was able during the climax and also later to answer important questions for dramatic reasons.

I am so sad that Yachiru seems to be confined to Kenpachi's sword now after she was free, her own person with her own Zanpakutou and powers. As I said, I am somewhat reminded of Pokemon and the spirits usually confined to pokeballs.

I very much felt with the Zanpakutou spirits in the anime story which - in part - became canon later. I don't want to see Ukitake as a prisoner on a leash.

Reaction score
Judging by the flashback with Shunsui and his brother, I gathered that the Kyoraku Clan may do things the traditional way which is if the eldest dies then the second born becomes heir. I wonder though if his parents thought he was right for the job. That's a question in itself given how we were first introduced to the man. I personally do think he'd be perfect to lead his family.

Keeping on the topic of Aizen, I just remembered that Shunsui still has the remaining keys to unsealing the man in his chest. Also, Aizen is missing. That's not good and the gates of Hell opening wouldn't wound nor kill him. So the question is, where did he disappear to?

Yeah, I too was sad that Yachiru went back to being sealed. I know Ikkaku and Yumichia miss her even if they probably didn't show it. But it is kinda comforting to know that Kenpachi still has her even if she's not physically there anymore.

I too wouldn't want Ukitake on a leash. That would be just wrong and wouldn't feel right.

Do you have an idea or theory as to why Sogyo no Kotowari was huge when it stabbed Szayelaporro?

Reaction score
I am left with the impression as well that noble houses usually appoint the eldest child as successor and then the next eldest takes over if that person dies. At least the Shihouin family does not consider how capable that heir is. Yoruichi's successor, her younger brother Yuchiro, is IMO completely unsuitable. I couldn't agree more with Yoruichi. The youngster was nothing else but a liability. But it seems he was the next in line. I had to smile when I read the latest books. It was not Yuchiro who was invited to important meetings but Yoruichi. It seems she is still the leader of the noble family although unofficially.

Shunsui is definitely capable and a good choice as captain commander and leader of the noble family in question.

I had a suspicion that Aizen would not just go back quietly to prison. Yes, that he is missing is not a good thing! I am curious as well what his plans are. Nothing good, I am sure. I can only guess but I assume that Aizen is not happy with the outcome of the war, putting Yhwach's body (as it seemed to be) in use as Soul King. He might want to do something about that.

About your question at the end, Arayia, I don't know. I looked into Bleach Wiki but also that place could not refresh my memory.