• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

Constructive Criticism Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toriko

Heavenly King
Reaction score
Talk about your problems with One Piece.

Reaction score
that it went over a cliff after the time skip? one of the worse things is how two dimensional the crew members have become (cue nosebleed/getting lost/asking to see panties ...). gear forth simply takes away all that was great about luffy as a fighter. none of the fights had gravitas barring perhaps the final showdown with don-flamingo. and why on earth the 4 cup-size increase across the board. even luffy's insistence to be the pirate king seems like tourette's as it is not clear what he even means by that at this point ....

Toriko

Heavenly King
Reaction score
I can't believe there's only been one post in here...

Reaction score
I can't believe there's only been one post in here...

I might have something to post here, but since I don't follow OP with the same level of attention as Bleach, I can't come up with a post reasonable enough. Not to mention that the series is so long that I tend to forget many details as well as characters.

But, if there are some things I might criticize, these are the ones I could remember at the moment:

~ Repetitive story parts/themes/tools. Unless it's Oda's intention and as I mentioned in my latest chapter post, I don't exactly like how the theme of "souls" has been repeated three times in the New World (Law exchanging souls in Punk Hazzard; humans turned into toys in Dressrosa; and now, soul transactions in Tottland; and there was a similar thing with shadows and zombies in Thriller Bark).

~ Female characters designs - not that they fall in the "only six faces" category, but the fact that Oda admits how he intentionally draws miniature waists and chests that get bigger and bigger with each new arc. I really don't see a point in it.

Forbidden Tale

I am Shane.
Reaction score
I was thinking about kinda repetitive story and powers.

Dressrossa seems like Alabasta V2.

Main villain in Dresrossa was Doflamingo, Don like pirate who is king of Dresrossa.
Main villain in Alabasta was Crocodile, don like pirate who wanted to be king of Alabasta.

Machvise's devil fruit is pretty much the same as Miss Valentine's.
Gladius fruit is pretty much same as Mr.5's.
Jora has pretty similar ability as Galdino and Miss Goldenweek.
Daz Bones' ability is similar to Baby5's.

After Alabasta, following was meeting Sky people on Sky Island, while after Dresrossa was meeting Mink Tribe on elephant's back.

Then crew had to save Nico Robin, and now they have to save Sanji. Both said they shouldn't go after them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
While I don't disagree that there are some similarities between those two Arcs, I respectfully disagree that they are all that similar. Doflamingo and Crocodile both creating civil wars while taking over Kingdoms isn't much different than there being a lot of wars for Kingdoms in Kingdom, Game Of Thrones, Magi, etc.. If that makes The Dressrosa Arc repetitive because of The Alabasta Arc, then those series would have to be called repetitive since those themes are in virtually every Arc of those series. One Piece, like those Universes, is simply a Universe that naturally has a lot of Kingdoms. There are a lot of Islands, thus there are naturally a lot of Kingdoms, and when you have a lot of Kingdoms there are going to be a lot of civil wars. There are also some differences between Doflamingo and Crocodile. Dressrosa was The Donquixote Family's Kingdom to begin with, so Doflamingo was just taking his Family's Kingdom back, and did so forcefully. Crocodile was taking over a random Kingdom and was doing it for a different reason, to find one of the Legendary Secret Weapons.

I do agree that Miss Valentine and Machvise have similar Devil Fruit abilities but I don't entirely agree with the other examples. The only similarity between Mr. 5's and Gladius' Devil Fruit abilities is that they can cause explosions, but the mechanics of the abilities are completely different. Mr. 5 can simply turn his boogers into bombs and Gladius can implode things. They're not any more similar than a nuke is to a cannon ball. Miss Goldenweek's and Jora's Devil Fruit abilities are somewhat similar but only in that they're both art related. How their Devil Fruit abilities work though is completely different. Mr. 1's and Baby 5's Devil Fruit abilities are only similar in the sense that one of the many weapons that Baby 5 has to choose from, she can choose a blade. Mr. 1's Devil Fruit abilities are more similar to Jozu's IMO than they are to Baby 5's because they're mostly the same concept, with one of the only differences being that Mr. 1 is steel and Jozu is diamond. Baby 5's Devil Fruit abilities are weapon based in general.

Outside of basic themes that you would find in any series with a lot of Kingdoms, there are few if any similarities between Dressrosa and Alabasta, and there are far more differences between them. So I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that The Dressrosa Arc is repetitive of The Alabasta Arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.