• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

Constructive Criticism Discussion v.4

Reaction score
I just finished listening the complete music tracks of TYBW album
Are you referring to "SHIRO'S SONGBOOK BLEACH Bankai!" or has there been another TYBW record release (of newer date)? It's been a while since I've listened to "Songbook Bankai!", but maybe I should go back to it to figure out what parts of tracks were used and what parts got left out.

Reaction score
Are you referring to "SHIRO'S SONGBOOK BLEACH Bankai!" or has there been another TYBW record release (of newer date)? It's been a while since I've listened to "Songbook Bankai!", but maybe I should go back to it to figure out what parts of tracks were used and what parts got left out.
No, it's the first TYBW music album:

Reaction score
Is the album available on an official YouTube channel perhaps? I can't find it on Shiro Sagisu's channel and I don't know where else it could potentially be.
I listened it on disc, but It's officially going to come later on streaming platforms like YouTube or Spotify. However, there are unofficial uploads (though not complete). I found one of them here:

There might be some on YouTube or Twitter, but I haven't searched yet.

Edit: I have found one on YouTube. It's a private video:

In one of my previous posts about the track that I was mad about not utilizing it, it is 1106 (United). They only used it in lookback trailer. It's one of the best. There are other bits and pieces as well which were heavily underutilized.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If Kon series is to be continued in cour 3, then the entire viewpoint of trimming the scenes because of limited episodes of 52 would fall flat. They have speed blitz the pacing in these 2 cours and if Kon series is the way to go from cour 3 because of having less material overall, it's really a bad taste for me personally. Most of the fans forgave the truncations because we understood that staff had limited time and episode to work but including Kon and giving it 3-5 minutes screen time in every episode is a disservice to the fans who were committed and forgiving the blunders studio has made.

Reaction score
The arrancar arc was decent until volume 35 where orihime is dropped as being the key for the hyogoku, granted the war arc was well done, I like all the fights and match ups like Izuru and Hisagi fighting. THe Ulqurria fight was tacked on to give ichigo some weight in his rivalry. I liked how Hinamori got back into the series with izuru and rangiku. When ichigo returns and we get 8 volumes leading up to decide it becomes mixed and anti climatic and an ANN had a surprisingly positive reaction to the finale as a clean ending. I loved the fullbring arc but it had a rushed ending. TYBW arc was a better war arc because there's more direction in the arc but got bogged down by some tacked on fights like the Zombie one and the Quincy are kinda silly, they look like arrancars and don't act human like Ishida and Ryuken and the flashback tells us. I hope they make changes except for Asking he was well done in the manga. As for Aizen he was hyped up but I don't think we got a good reason why he did what he did, there's no flashback for his motives? except maybe wanting to be a god, and he doesn't want to be ruled by the soul king but thats not till the end of the arrancar arc. We get insight into his plans but the fact that the orihime and the arrancar were all pawns he threw out when he didn't need them anymore makes for a strange bad guy. And when we look at top 10 aizen moments , it's when he betrays soul society, his flashbacks in Everything But The Rain and Turn Back The Pendulum or his role in the TYBW. During the arrancar arc he does vey little and we get bits of why the arrancars follow him and gin. Aizens problem as a bad guy is he isn't really ichigos bad guy, he's uruharas and shinjis bad guy

Last edited:
Reaction score
BLEACH TYBW community is one the verge of complete split after Taguchi's interview. Even I consider myself around the verge somewhere, but I am patient. But most people aren't. Many want to get rid of the director because he barely has time to treat BLEACH the way it should be treated because he's too busy with his myriad of other projects.

I think storyboarding is far more important than the main director. The reason Yhwach vs Ichibei didn't get much of an impact is because the storyboarding was not upto the mark. They tried to deviate from manga camera angles and it didn't have a cinematic effect. For example, Ichibei's hand and feet effects. Deviating away from Kubo's camera perspective was a bad take.

The project needs exceptional character animation. Filler animation of original anime had far better character animation. If Taguchi is only wanting to expand his portfolio just to have his name on his end credits, but treating the project as abandoned warehouse, it's insulting to the community. If he can't manage to dedicate his time, at least replace with a person that has time to not approve a broken storyboard. If not, then it's a dishonest take to leech on the brand BLEACH. If he doesn't have time to overlook this project at all, he has no right to declare his name on end credits when he is not involved in the project.

I would still wait for the cour 3 debut episode, but if it falls short of expectation, I would be on the other side of the community on social media.

Last edited:
Reaction score
BLEACH TYBW community is one the verge of complete split after Taguchi's interview. Even I consider myself around the verge somewhere, but I am patient. But most people aren't. Many want to get rid of the director because he barely has time to treat BLEACH the way it should be treated because he's too busy with his myriad of other projects.

I think storyboarding is far more important than the main director. The reason Yhwach vs Ichibei didn't get much of an impact is because the storyboarding was not upto the mark. They tried to deviate from manga camera angles and it didn't have a cinematic effect. For example, Ichibei's hand and feet effects. Deviating away from Kubo's camera perspective was a bad take.

The project needs exceptional character animation. Filler animation of original anime had far better character animation. If Taguchi is only wanting to expand his portfolio just to have his name on his end credits, but treating the project as abandoned warehouse, it's insulting to the community. If he can't manage to dedicate his time, at least replace with a person that has time to not approve a broken storyboard. If not, then it's a dishonest take to leech on the brand BLEACH. If he doesn't have time to overlook this project at all, he has no right to declare his name on end credits when he is not involved in the project.

I would still wait for the cour 3 debut episode, but if it falls short of expectation, I would be on the other side of the community on social media.

I take it this is separate from his statement about Generative AI, but I am curious if it is from the same interview.

The subject has been a major concern of mine for a while now, but taking this apparent statement with his views on using Generative AI to "replace lazy animators" paints a very bad picture of him as a director.

Reaction score
Quick summary version: Kubo tends to never have characters use the same technique or ability twice if they have multiple fights in the manga, and many characters suffer from a "once and done" situation where they use their main ability or technique in a "spotlight fight", and become relegated to the sidelines afterward. With most villains, or in other circumstances, this involves the character showing off their abilities, and dying not long afterwards.

Because of this, Kubo has given certain characters abilities that afford multiple different techniques that can be shown off in different fights, even if each technique is never used twice.

As far as the Hell Arc is concerned, this can be used to predict exactly who will have a featured fight, though how it will turn out will depend on the character and what plans Kubo has for the arc.

Full version:

Having had the years since the manga ended to think about a lot of things with Bleach, there are several criticisms I can level towards how the story is structured and its pacing. One such criticism is about the fights in Bleach and how characters are featured because Kubo seems to have a severe "one and done" problem when it comes to character abilities.

Namely, outside of base abilities i.e. Zanpakuto with one specific ability, and/or race-based techniques like Cero, Kubo never seems to have most characters use the same technique twice over the course of the entire manga. This goes as far as Kubo effectively being "done" with a character once they've showcased their main ability. Even if there is a case where they attempt to use their ability again, something will interrupt them and keep them from doing so.

To focus on race-based techniques, we have Ransotengai, Sklaverei, the Gran Rey Cero, and Cero Oscuras. Among the Stern Ritter in the manga, Quilge Opie is the only Quincy seen using Ransotengai and Sklaverei. The Cero Oscuras and Gran Rey Cero are equally egregious in the manga, since they're both stated to be techniques all Espada can use, yet we only ever see Grimmjow use Gran Rey, and Ulquiorra use Cero Oscuras. Every other Espada only ever uses the normal abilities of their Resurreccion, or regular Cero.

NOTE: The Sklaverei issue is addressed in the TYBW anime, with Stern Ritter using it to augment the power of their Vollstandig.

But recalling the various fights of the manga, this even applies to the main cast. For instance, Uryu is never seen using Ransotengai again after the Soul Society Arc; the Seele Schneider also only sees use in Hueco Mundo; Sado is all but relegated to the sidelines after he showcased his completed power's abilities against Gantenbainne; Rukia showcases each of Sode no Shirayuki's techniques a minimum of once on-panel (Tsuki Shiro is the only one used twice), and she effectively fades into the background of the TYBW arc once she uses Bankai against As Nodt; Ichigo only uses Getsuga Jujishio and Gran Rey Getsuga once each in the TYBW; even Inoue's Shiten Koshun is only seen once and never again in the manga, when the Santen and Soten shields are perhaps the most frequently used techniques in the entire series by design.

NOTE: More criticism on the Rikka another time, perhaps. Otherwise, it will just keep rattling around in my head. For the time being, we know there are at least three potential Rikka techniques she has yet to use, each involving the Soten Kisshun shield (the "phenomena rejecting" power) with one of her other shields on their own, or all three together. This will be relevant for the end of the post.

Among the Gotei 13, most characters have a "spotlight fight" where they showcase the abilities of their Zanpakuto, at which point they usually aren't given a major fight in the series after that, even if they still feature and have a role in the story due to their characters.

The only clear exception among the Gotei 13 is Zaraki Kenpachi. Among the Gotei 13 Captains, he's the only straight-up swordsman of the bunch. No special ability or techniques, just raw power. This is arguably why he is one of the few Gotei 13 Captains to have a frequent number of fights in the series. '

The other Gotei 13 Shinigami who have the most fights (Mayuri, Byakuya, Toshiro) aren't an exception, either. They just have a myriad of different techniques they show off with each fight, either through the nature of their Zanpakuto or scientific ingenuity. Mayuri modified his Bankai between the times he used it into one that can "adapt" to any opponent Mayuri encounters. Toshiro could manipulate the water in the atmosphere for any number of effects, with the full extent of his complete Bankai yet to be revealed. Senbonzakura Kageyoshi is a hundred million blades that could be configured in a myriad of ways, so there could be more Bankai techniques yet to see.

Urahara's Benihime is probably the same as Hyorinmaru and Senbonzakura. If the "restructuring" ability is the same in Shikai as in Bankai, there's a theoretically high upper limit to the number of techniques Urahara can have, and ways he could use his Bankai. So long as Kubo can think of more techniques for these specifically versatile Zanpakuto or individuals to have, they'll continue to feature as major characters in fights.

Then again, that's only for specific characters. Rose could have as many as 11 techniques, Lisa as many as 21, but that's only if we take the naming conventions of their techniques literally, but neither are likely to be in positions where we can see all those techniques in action, just as we only have names for less than a quarter of each of the 99 Bakudo and 99 Hado spells.

It is also extremely rare to see a character use the same technique twice. Excluding characters with one base ability (like Getsuga Tensho), I can probably count the number of techniques used more than once by the same individual on one hand. Licht Regen, Kageoni, Tsuki Shiro, Senkei, and Tenso Jurin are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head as I compose this post. Even the last two are technicalities because the second uses of both were set up for other techniques.

Otherwise, most characters and techniques follow this unspoken "one and done" rule.

As a criticism of Kubo's writing and how he handles characters and fights, one could also use it as a means to predict what he might do nex in the Hell Arc. For instance, we saw nothing of Ukitake's Bankai before his death, and we know he will be a major character in the upcoming arc, whenever it gets published. Rukia, Renji, Zaraki, and Ichigo revealed new Bankai in the TYBW arc, so they either will or might get chances to showcase their mastery and growth over the twelve-year time-skip.

I say might because, for instance, as much as I'd like to see a mastered Hakka no Togame with a variety of techniques to use and/or powered-up versions of her Shikai, we could wind up with Hakka no Togame being just a one-shot deal due to her power's built-in weakness.

For Byakuya, Toshiro and Mayuri, it is likely Kubo will come up with additional Zanpakuto techniques for the first two to use, and that Mayuri will have some new invention to use in battle or an even further modified Bankai.

The newly promoted Gotei 13 Captains after the original ending - Lisa, Iba and Isane - and any Shinigami character yet to reveal Bankai, such as Love, will also likely have fights, if the Hell Arc becomes the true final arc of the series. But given how they and others have been treated in the past, they might serve a similar role Kensei and Rose did in TYBW and reveal Bankai only to be defeated to show the threat of the enemy. They might be Captains or former Captains, but they don't fall into the "main character" category among the Gotei 13.

As for the main cast:

I brought up earlier, Inoue has three potential Rikka techniques left to reveal, particularly the one combining all six Rikka fairies into one shield. Since her son is set to be a main character in the Hell Arc, it is all but assured we'll see the remaining three shields and what they do. Never mind the fact her powers were specifically designed to ensure her continued relevance in the story.

Unless Sado is revealed to have developed his Fullbring further (perhaps using Fullbring on his grandfather's coin), he'll once again be sidelined as he was in TYBW.

In regards to Rukia, Ichika seemed to sense when the gates of Hell opened and the Hell Ghouls when no one else could sense their presence. If that means Rukia can sense the denizens of Hell by extension, then he might have something planned for Rukia. There is also the fact her former Captain has been consigned to Hell, so she should have a personal investment and relevance to the story on account of that alone.

That said, we saw how she was treated in TYBW after her fight with As Nodt.

Uryu is a curious case. We only saw the Antithesis used twice against Haschwalth in the manga, but the TYBW anime has been showcasing the ability more. If he has a Vollstandig of his own, we might see it in the anime, but I don't know how that'd affect whether it will be presented in the Hell Arc. I can only theorize what further reveals Kubo has planned in the Hell Arc, but whether Uryu will have a featured fight will depend on whether Kubo decides he has anything left to show with Uryu and the Quincy.

Which is the crux of the matter. For the characters Kubo likes and wants to do a lot with, he has created them with Zanpakuto with multiple techniques that can be shown throughout the story in different battles, or with skills that allow them to devise different ways to fight each time (e.g. Mayuri and Urahara). For other characters, Kubo will often have them be "one and done" in their respective featured fights and relegated to the sidelines afterward if they don't have additional story relevance tied to their characters.

Reaction score
In general I agree with your views, Saiyan5ninetail. But if that is a bad or a good thing is a matter of personal preference.

I prefer stories in which we have a main character together with a core of characters the story is focusing on. This includes powers and personal developments. There are further characters who are somewhat important but supporting elements, helping to shape the world the main characters live in and who they are. Other characters only appear briefly, recurring when they can be useful or even only once.

This is what Tite Kubo is doing and I completely agree with it. Unfortunately the last Manga arc, the one with the overall climax of this story, was shortened and distorted because of his health issues. What we are getting now in the new anime is showing us what the story should have been like and I find these differences very interesting.

This is the story of the conflict between Shinigami and Quincies first of all shown in the form of Ichigo and Uryu. It was first of all presented from the viewpoint of Ichigo. Uryu was first introduced as a shady, enigmatic character who took a chance and became Ichigo's friend in spite of what he is. Ichigo makes friends easily but for Uryu, it was a very big step. Looking back at these beginnings, it makes what is happening between them so tragic.

Uryu should have had a much more important part in the last manga arc. This applies to his powers, his history, his character - all of it, no less than it applies to Ichigo. Both of it is the key to the future of Shinigami and Quincies in general. Antithesis is as important in Bleach as Ichigo's Bankai. That this is obvious now in the new anime is something I welcome a lot. Therefore I agree with it that it needs to be shown repeatedly. Both powers are linked to how Bleach as a story is moving forward and its conclusion as well as the fate of their friendship.

Byakuya, Hitsugaya, Urahara are all examples of powerful characters with a complex personality and also a complex set of powers. They kept developing throughout Bleach, as people but also when looking at their powers. They are important within the tapestry of Bleach. Also here, I agree with Tite Kubo.

But I am not one of the fans who want to see each and any power - Bankai or anything else - just for completing a tick box exercise. Tite Kubo presented such stories in the past and I quickly got tired of the A vs. B battles that didn't move the overall story forward. The contrary, I really wondered, why is everybody so stupid? More than once battles could have been won easily with more team work instead of waiting in line for the next one vs. one. Maybe not always easily but it makes much more sense to me. Giving the somewhat more important secondary characters one big impressive power is IMO enough.

I hope the last anime arc is answering one question I have and that was not developed thoroughly enough. At least the people who got to know Uryu should trust him and give him the benefit of the doubt. Only Orihime did so. I hated it how Ichigo treated Uryu in the Arrancar arc and now this.

But so far, so good.

Last edited: