• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

Bleach Anime Cancelled by Studio Pierrot: When Will it Return? [V.2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Even the more reliable leakers are starting to confirm that the Bleach anime is only a matter of time. I think we are in for a blast regarding the Bleach franchise in the upcoming two years.

The license of Studio Pierrot is also supposedly expired.

I'd actually be really surprised by this if they made the anime. Here's the thing about the Final Blood War, it's not just some 1-cour anime that could be produced. There's 206 chapters to cover. If you went aggressive and said they could do 3 chapters in an episode that's still 68 episodes which is a LOT by most standards (it would take 2-4 years to animate that kind of quantity based upon how most running anime gets published).

But the giant catch is, most anime is made as promotional material to sell the manga. We don't think of it that way overseas because we don't get Shounen Jump the way they do in Japan, but considering that there's no manga revenue to be made from animating Bleach I'd be surprised if they invested the amount of money it would take to do ~68 episodes. Their anime revenue model isn't the same as it is here which is typically all advertising revenue.

I'd LOVE to see the final arc animated, I just don't know if there's any actual profit to be had by doing so.

It's one of the reasons why Movies are becoming such a popular medium in Japan for animating manga that wouldn't be as lucrative as a nationally televised anime. Series such as Black Butler get movies instead of animated cours because the revenue model is ticket sales, which actually *does* bring in Revenue and profit directly related to the series. As opposed to it taking up a popular TV slot which doesn't get as much direct revenue to the animation studio.

Reaction score
Can't they sell merchandise from anime? It doesn't have to be explicit Manga sales...There could be people who still haven't bought Manga and Anime could help those fans to get interested in Manga which they left(say after FKT arc for example)...Merchandise on its own could be sold as well and anime could help it...But they don't consider Bleach to be that popular for selling the merchandise even. For example, there was no Bleach character in the Olympics merchandise featuring characters from Astro Boy, Sailor Moon, Crayon Shin-chan, One Piece, Naruto Shippuden, Yo-Kai Watch, Dragon Ball Super, and Maho Girls PreCure!.

It would be really good if the anime would come back and I would be surprised as well if it did..

However, technology is advancing and in about some years in future, an AI could make a whole Anime or at least help humans to make Anime in a very short amount of time and if there would be some Bleach fans left in future, they might do it with the help of AI. There are already deep fakes which are running wild. Mona Lisa is talking realistically. Voice samples of dead persons(voice actors) could be morphed into dialogues. Video Editing has already becoming a piece of cake with AI. The lines between intellectual property and copying is already blurring. China doesn't respect those lines and that's why Tencent is carving itself on Mount Rushmore to be the president of all things entertainment. Japanese animators are training Chinese studios...There might be a better chance for a Bleach Final Arc to come in China than for the rest of the world! LOL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A very interesting topic discussion here: https://gizmodo.com/this-ai-can-automatically-animate-new-flintstones-carto-1825236308

Last edited:
Reaction score
A lot of the merchandise comes from the anime. I noticed that after the Bleach anime ended, the long trading card series were discontinued. Nowadays new Bleach cards are rare and either singles or a short series. A return of the anime would revive these series and this would make me very happy. I have been collecting these cards for years and have nearly all of the series I am interested in.

Times have changed a lot. As also The Outlier pointed out, technology is moving forward very fast. I am also a Star Trek fan. It is amazing what fans can create nowadays: Some fan made movies and series are amazing! Not only when it comes to technology but also when it comes to writing.

Bleach is still very popular and a lot of fans want more. I predict, in a few years, the Bleach anime will continue but made by fans. This will cause all kinds of problems. Of course it is a breach of copyright law but with the globalization we have nowadays and that is still growing, such a series will be available.

Netflix is broadcasting the Bleach live action movie and I think the way forward is to offer the rights of new Bleach anime stories to them as well. Or maybe directly to Crunchyroll or another provider.

There is interest, I am sure of that. What is maybe the main problem is that a Bleach anime continuation needs a strong cooperation with Tite Kubo. Other anime series do follow the manga and any filler material does not necessarily involve a lot of input. I don't know if Tite Kubo is well enough and willing to put a lot of energy into a new anime project.

It would help if Bleach the anime will continue in seasons but still, it is a lot of work. I believe that it would be worth it. The DVDs sell well and, yes, the anime is often serving as a link to the manga. I became a fan watching the anime first. My brother is the same.

Reaction score
You bring a lot of sound points, Willster328.

Bleach really is in a tricky situation. Not only would an adaptation require around 70 episodes, it would've been ideal (and many fans would appreciate it) if the anime would explore the threads that weren't completely covered in the manga (for example, battle between the group of Shinigami and Quincies).

It is true that, in Japan, anime serves as a promotional material for manga. It may not be ideal to bring up Shokugeki no Soma, given the lukewarm reception of the final arc in both the manga and the anime, the fact is that it still received the final arc anime adaptation. There's also a 2018/2019 anime like Kanata no Astra (Astra Lost in Space) that's adapted a manga, albeit short, that ended in 2017.

Bleach was still among the top 5 series for TV Tokyo in terms of sales (IIRC) - and there was basically nothing making those profits besides KLab's Bleach Brave Souls.

Honestly speaking, I was always more of a manga reader than an anime watcher, but I would like to see the Bleach final arc in animated form because it would be so nice to meet all those characters again in a different medium.

It may be just a dream at this point, but the dedication of the fans can help persuade the studios to take actions. Just recently, and I've only briefly read about it, the movement to release Zack Snyder's original director cut of Justice League gained a lot of traction and recognition with reports that even Snyder himself appreciates what his fans did to help him feel better after serious life hurdles.

I'm not saying that Bleach will definitely return next year, but I think it is alright to maintain hope that it will return at some point.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For me, I still believe Bleach anime will return when Bleach considered as classic series, which is like at least on 2022 (10 years after the anime ended).

Even if it returned, I think they can pretty much chop the final arc into several seasons (like 24 - 26 episodes per season), like not airing 70+ episodes at once. Since it costs less than making 1 year+ series, and the studio actually may change their plan (like having rushed ending in worst case scenario) if they aren't really making much profit as they expected.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you a NPC or a bot?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Even the more reliable leakers are starting to confirm that the Bleach anime is only a matter of time. I think we are in for a blast regarding the Bleach franchise in the upcoming two years.

The license of Studio Pierrot is also supposedly expired.
please respect people with an opinion contrary to yours.
i respect your opinion but understand that not everybody likes

Reaction score
I'd actually be really surprised by this if they made the anime. Here's the thing about the Final Blood War, it's not just some 1-cour anime that could be produced. There's 206 chapters to cover. If you went aggressive and said they could do 3 chapters in an episode that's still 68 episodes which is a LOT by most standards (it would take 2-4 years to animate that kind of quantity based upon how most running anime gets published).

But the giant catch is, most anime is made as promotional material to sell the manga. We don't think of it that way overseas because we don't get Shounen Jump the way they do in Japan, but considering that there's no manga revenue to be made from animating Bleach I'd be surprised if they invested the amount of money it would take to do ~68 episodes. Their anime revenue model isn't the same as it is here which is typically all advertising revenue.

I'd LOVE to see the final arc animated, I just don't know if there's any actual profit to be had by doing so.

It's one of the reasons why Movies are becoming such a popular medium in Japan for animating manga that wouldn't be as lucrative as a nationally televised anime. Series such as Black Butler get movies instead of animated cours because the revenue model is ticket sales, which actually *does* bring in Revenue and profit directly related to the series. As opposed to it taking up a popular TV slot which doesn't get as much direct revenue to the animation studio.
I do agree with most of what you are saying but the final arc is 18 volumes long that haven't received any anime promotion yet. My problem is more the interest in the anime. The west isn't a problem since Bleach is a huge name here and new fans will watch the old anime regardless with all the hype and promotion. But the problem is Japan. They don't like to watch old stuff over there. It has been nearly a decade since the anime ended. The average Bleach fan is between 22-35 I would say. I doubt even alot of them will get the references to earlier arcs during the Blood war arc. Besides that, they won't make much money out of that demographic target. Doing a remake like HxH will bring a complete new fanbase and even boost the older volumes, making the anime profitable.

If the anime were to resume from the last arc, they either have some good marketing plans (perhaps newly animated recap OVAs/movies) or they are confident getting enough money from it because it's so big in the west.

But anime isn't only being made to promote manga only. There are many anime based on games or just anime original stories. Bleach was in the top 5 this year even without an anime. A new anime would mean new merchandise, which in Bleach's case have always been selling like hot cakes. Everything Bleach related was sold out during last Jump Festa. Same goes the LA movie merchandise. It has a very loyal fanbase. Maybe they would bring the anime back to promote Brave Souls or Bleach 3D.

please respect people with an opinion contrary to yours.
i respect your opinion but understand that not everybody likes

I have no problem with you not liking the manga but if I were to quote your last 20 posts, I'm pretty sure almost all of them would be you saying the anime should not continue because the manga very is bad or how bad the manga was in general. We understand your aversion to the manga already by now… No need to say it a 100 times. That's what I meant by questioning whether you were a bot or not.

Reaction score
- Urahara -

you need to choose your words well because if you don't know how to use them you offend people .
About bleach manga for me there is no way to fix it that is why i prefer how the anime end compare to the manga for many many reasons and always i defend that we not need a continuation because the anime was better compare to the manga specialy the end

Status
Not open for further replies.