• Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War - Part 3: The Conflict is expected to arrive in 2024. Until then, check out the latest news from the Bleach Anime Section: HERE! ~ The BA staff.

anyone stoked on the new series Boruto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equilibrium

The Dude
Reaction score
The one-shot is awesome and I really like Mitsuki as a character. Probably the best "young generation" character thus far. However the art for the new Boruto series looks god awful, and I can't say that won't detract from my enjoyment. I'll still give the series a try.

Reaction score
The one-shot is awesome and I really like Mitsuki as a character. Probably the best "young generation" character thus far. However the art for the new Boruto series looks god awful, and I can't say that won't detract from my enjoyment. I'll still give the series a try.

I think the author will learn quickly, from what I can tell this is his first drawing. The most noticeable screw ups are that his faces are much rounder/wider, and the eyes are rounder/squarer than Kishi's typical style. To be fair, they are children so the proportions of faces should be generally wider (think Adult Hitsugaya v Child Hitsugaya), and so this author may simply overexaggerate those features compared to Kishi. I think it'll get better.

As for Mitsuki, he's by far one of my favorite characters. Sarada is my first favorite, and Boruto is my second if only because I'm so curious about him being an anti-hero of the series. If Boruto can display some shades of grey compared to his Father's morality I will be very pleased.

The rest of the kids show their own unique promise, but the one big lacking thing to me is the potential Villain. There's yet to be a villain so far to me conceptually (through the 10-chap sidestory, and the Boruto movie) that don't just seem like Filler villains. Now, to be fair, it's a movie and a mini-series so the villains should be filler villains, but Naruto built up 400+ chapters of history and lineages. To me, the climax of whtever possible villain was Kaguya. She was the origin of the earliest known tale. I guess with the right storytelling anything can be pulled off, but I think that he would be best staying with simple political issues.

To me, there's still poor villages, there's still a monetary reward system, there is theoretically a world beyond the continent we saw (possibly) so bringing in those X-factors would be smart IMO. Don't try and create some invincible villain of prophecy, just stay simple with the political and character struggles and try to make it realistic.

Equilibrium

The Dude
Reaction score
I think the author will learn quickly, from what I can tell this is his first drawing. The most noticeable screw ups are that his faces are much rounder/wider, and the eyes are rounder/squarer than Kishi's typical style. To be fair, they are children so the proportions of faces should be generally wider (think Adult Hitsugaya v Child Hitsugaya), and so this author may simply overexaggerate those features compared to Kishi. I think it'll get better.

I don't even think the major problems lies in the kids, characters like Sasuke are damn right unrecognizable. The problem that this author will have is that he is adapting/continuing a long running series manga material. This means that no matter how good it gets, if it doesn't look exactly like the characters we know and love, its simply gonna look off. The One Punch adapter had it easy because he was basically adapting stick figures, however Kishimoto has always been one of the best all-around artists out there (amazing character designs and settings, artists like Kubo are excellent at character designs but usually lack setting detail while Oda has excellent setting detail but has pretty wonky character designs).

In anycase, I am certainly giving this series a try. As long as the content itself is good and the author gradually improves his drawings, I'll be invested.

To me, there's still poor villages, there's still a monetary reward system, there is theoretically a world beyond the continent we saw (possibly) so bringing in those X-factors would be smart IMO. Don't try and create some invincible villain of prophecy, just stay simple with the political and character struggles and try to make it realistic.

I partially agree. But to be fair, Kishimoto opened up a huge door by essentially introducing aliens in the form of the Ōtsutsuki clan. While they themselves might be extinct, its now possible to bring villains from other planets. However I am not sure if that could be pulled off well and I'd also much prefer for the conflict to be a lost smaller in scale. The only real problem arises in the form of challenges. Sarada, Boruto and even Mitsuki naturally have potential LEAGUES above that of their fellow peers so who will challenge them and make them grow? We can't just have them battling each other every single time.

CrayonsToChaos

Reaction score
I liked the Mitsuki one-shot, especially gender-ambiguous Orochimaru who was weirdly hot, and the psychological tricks they play with Mitsuki. Very ominous.

Not sure I approve of the "elite by birth" thing from the Boruto teaser one-shot. That kind of thing rubs me up the wrong way in general, but with fictional characters, isn't it nicer to see them grow by virtue of their own actions, rather than retro-fit them with special genes? Mind you this is narrated by Mitsuki so could just be his opinion. And this has been a problem with Naruto for years.

I'm a bit worried how they are going to deal with power-creep in the new series since one of them already has Sage mode. :/

Something that bothers me about the new artwork - and of course, it's not going to be a replica of Kishimoto, that's cool - is the panty flashing. Completely unnecessary, more than a bit creepy, and just ... why....? WHY? D:

Reaction score
hmm, the question is what can kishimoto do in this new manga that he has not already done in Naruto? i mean every jutsu and technique was created by the sage of the six paths and we have already seen him and everything that has to do with him, so redrawing rennegans and sharingan is just the same manga all over again, i hope kishimoto starts expanding the horizons with boruto and explore other planets or exactly were the sage of the six paths came from maybe even explore the universe, doing ninja stuff on the same planet is just the same thing over again but with different characters, if not i can see this turning into something like Dragonall GT, horrible

Equilibrium

The Dude
Reaction score
The art for this Boruto series is actually not nearly as bad as I anticipated. In fact, everything to do with older Boruto (the coloured pages + 1 non-coloured page) is damn near Kishimoto level. Though for some reason the quality regressed when it skipped back to present time, it was still more tolerable then what I had previously envisioned it to be.

With that said, while the "future" scene was INSANELY intriguing (Naruto DIED? Konoha in ruins again?) I don't understand why we are back at events that unfolded Boruto: The Movie. Is it really necessary to go through that again?

Reaction score
Sasuke makes me cry, also the faces are rounded...I dunno, I really don't like it

Status
Not open for further replies.